air lock plugged up need ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarlokJoel

Reaction score
started my Russian Imp stout the other night..

woke up this morning and the air lock is plugged...i cleaned it out, replaced it and it plugged up again right away.
i dont have the time to run and get stuff to make a blow off tube,

any ideas?

thanks joel

ps if this thing blows up in my closet , does anyone have a spare bedroom for me when my wife boots me out :drunk:

Remove it, saw or break off the chriscross at the bottom of the airlock (that's what's causing the clog), re-sanitize it then rig up an airlock blowoff tube.

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

The hose I used came from my bottling wand, you must have a piece of hose from something in your kit lying around..with a slit in the side to make a snug fit.

I cut the "x"'s off all the 3 piecers when I get them..

WOW...thanx revvy, that is the exact setup that i have (bucket and airlock)
took me 5 mins to get it going (thats inclunding cutting my finger cutting the end off the airlock!heh) now its bubbling very hapily in the closet!

now i dont have to move! :mug:

thanx again,....you rock

Joel

WOW...thanx revvy, that is the exact setup that i have (bucket and airlock)
took me 5 mins to get it going (thats inclunding cutting my finger cutting the end off the airlock!heh) now its bubbling very hapily in the closet!

now i dont have to move! :mug:

thanx again,....you rock

Joel

See the sacrifice some brewer's like Joel do to insure great beer, they shed blood for it!!!!! :D

You did sanitze after you bled on it didn't you?

I use a small hack saw myself BTW....

:mug:

The crisscross is scored during manufacture. The easiest and safest way to remove it is to push a Philips screwdriver( chopstick, nutcracker handle) down the tube. The crisscross will break off clean without cracking the airlock.

I've got to remember to do that. I've bought several lately and didn't think to knock them off. All my old ones don't have that criss-cross do-ma-jig

Guess I'm lucky not to have had an issue. I usually use a hopsack and 7.9 gallon pail though...

Revvy, do you remove the tips from all your 3 piece airlocks?

Yeah...I believe I mentioned it in the very first or second post of mine on this thread....I hacksaw them off immediately when I get them, with a jeweler's saw...I just thought the screwdriver tip was a good one.

I started doing that even before the blowoff tube...the chris cross seemed to serve no logical purpose...and the s types don't have them anyway...I figured having a clear opening was a good think anyway.

The crisscross is scored during manufacture. The easiest and safest way to remove it is to push a Philips screwdriver( chopstick, nutcracker handle) down the tube. The crisscross will break off clean without cracking the airlock.

Wow! Just tried it! Fantastic, thanks!

Back