Air lock bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go Gators

Reaction score
I have been searching the forum for previous questions like this, but I have yet to find one.

I pitched my yeast on Tuesday at about noon, by midnight I started to see bubbles escaping the air lock. The next day at noon I noticed that the water in the air lock now looked like the brew, and there was bubbling out of the top of the air lock. As well as a collection (small) of beer on the lid of my fermenter.

This was not the case with my first batch, and this is only my second batch. So my question is...Is this bad? Why would this happen? What should I expect/do about it?

Thanks you guys.

I'm going to answer your question dispite your name.

No it's not bad. You probably would have been better off with a blow off tube rather than an airlock. But you just had a very active yeast growth cycle.

Take your airlock clean it and add so new water or whatever you use.

Go Dawgs

Lol. good work finding your own answer.

ALWAYS use a blow off. You are lucky it isn't all over the floor, or worse, your ceiling.

I use a 7.9 gallon primary bucket for anything that generates krausen... most 5.5 gallon batches will not use up the remaining headspace and blowout the top. I switched to 7.9's after I blew german chocolate stout up to the ceiling out of a 6.5 gallon primary!!!! If you are getting brew in the airlock now try to cool the fermenter down to slow the fermentation a little.

Thanks you guys...All great advice. I guess I kind of got lucky on this one. I still have A LOT to learn about this hobby.

Seems like every brew drags me even deeper in, and I haven't even tried a finished beer yet. :D :eek:

Oh and that Florida Georgia game is going to be AWESOME next season. See you in J-ville. :rockin:

Go Gators said:
Oh and that Florida Georgia game is going to be AWESOME next season. See you in J-ville. :rockin:

Not me. I got tired of driving all the way down there to watch the gators kick our butts.:)

Yes, very active primary fermentation indeed. Blowoff tubes are always a good thing, especially with wheat beers. This is an advantage of using a 61/2 gal carboy as one can watch the fermentation pick up and then put on the blowoff tube if necessary. I brewed a high gravity brew once, and the airlock literally blew off. Table, floor, ceiling were all covered in a sticky kroysen. The beer still turned out just fine.

abracadabra said:
Not me. I got tired of driving all the way down there to watch the gators kick our butts.:)

Ya, but next year a lot of analysts have UGA 1 or 2. With UF not too far back at 3 or 4. Should make for a really exciting "world's largest outdoor cocktail party."

Go Gators said:
Ya, but next year a lot of analysts have UGA 1 or 2. With UF not too far back at 3 or 4. Should make for a really exciting "world's largest outdoor cocktail party."

I agree.

As of 01/01/08 Ga. was probably the best team in the country.

Next year is a whole other tale. And starting out with a high nat'l ranking in the SEC is like having a bull's eye on your back with a bunch if nut case sharpshooters in the clock tower, everybody's gunning for you.

If last year was any indication being highly ranked was more of a curse than a blessing.

I have a buddy from Hawaii that said the Ga. people were really nasty to him and everyone from Hi that was in New Orleans. I'm really disappointed and ashamed that the Ga. people were so rude.

But you are right it should be exciting. It almost always is.:mug:

Go Gators said:

Did you not learn from what Michigan did the beginning of this year? werent they ranked like one or two by the "analysts" before the season started? didnt they lose like their first 3 games straight App. St. Div II school being one of the teams that beat them? Just tryin to say WTF do the "analysts" really know?:mug:

Skunkyhops said:
Did you not learn from what Michigan did the beginning of this year? werent they ranked like one or two by the "analysts" before the season started? didnt they lose like their first 3 games straight App. St. Div II school being one of the teams that beat them? Just tryin to say WTF do the "analysts" really know?:mug:

Not that accurate of a statement as far as Michigan's record...but for the rest of the guys on here who don't LOVE college football I am going to end this convo. Kinda got off topic here. :off:

Back