Air-Lock & Blow Off Tube Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stocktires

Reaction score
Guys, I'm having a hard time with airlocks here, i use the 3-piece style. It seems as though they dry up quickly or as the beer temp drops or sits for a while, it will suck the sanitizer into the beer leaving it exposed. Does anyone else struggle with this? It is the worst in a slow fermentation or conditioning beer.
Is this why some of you only use blow offs? I've only had to use a blow off once because of violent fermentation. My fermentations are all ales and done in a chest freezer.
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? It doesn't seem others have this problem all the time with airlocks.
If you recommend going to a blow off all the time, what kind of setup do you use? I'm using better bottles.

Suck back happens to me all the time...wait, that does not sound right. :eek:

I toss a long blow off tube on my primaries and so any suck back is minimal and only sits in the tube for a short time until fermentation takes over (it never makes its way to the fermenter).

Once done, I'll toss on the three piece or rack to secondary and toss on the three piece...even then, due to minor temp swings, suck back might occur but minimally.

I've not had any problems with the air locks drying up and I use $h!ty vodka!

Best of luck!

I don't understand how your 3 piece air lock is drying out, especially if your doing it in a chest freezer. How hot can it get in there? I use them with my ciders which I keep in the basement, and I have to top them up every 2 months. Do you have it securely in the bung so it is not leaking back into the carboy? How long are you conditioning them for?

Even dry it is almost impossible for germs to get past a sanitized 3 piece....depending on location.

Back