air lock activity picking up after two weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansasbrew

Reaction score
After almost ten days in secondary, (after a robust fermentation in primary) my airlock activity seems to be increasing a bit (not crazy, just a tad more). I thought it was finished, and today, I've noticed that I'm getting a slight uptick in visible respiration(?). I thought all the yeasties would be dormant by now. What is that about?

It could be anything...Is it getting warmer in Kansas like it has been in Michigan over the last few days? Change in temp could either cause yeastes to wake up or simply cause a gas expansion of the co2 in the carboy. Or even cause some co2 trapped in the trub to get released. Barometric pressure could do the same thing. Heck even a cat brushing against a fermenter where everything sat in stasis for a few days, or a car passing by on the road could cause the airlock to bubble again.

You can take another grav reading if you see the need. But I'm betting on anything other than fermentation activity.

I should say that this is more a curiosity to me than a concern. According to my infrared thermometer, the temp of the carboy has stayed at the 66 degrees or so as it has been at for some time (Yes, Kansas as a whole is warmer, but my basement is fairly constant). Again, it isn't much of a change, but it caught me a bit off guard and made me wonder. Thanks for the response.

Back