air in the tap line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agdarnell

Reaction score
Ok so I am brand new to kegging and I am on my second keg (the first one turned out great!) and no matter what I do I am getting way to much carbonation and I think part of the problem is the hose that goes to my picnic tap is about half full of air and no matter how much I try and run it out it is still there. Any ideas???

Ok so I am brand new to kegging and I am on my second keg (the first one turned out great!) and no matter what I do I am getting way to much carbonation and I think part of the problem is the hose that goes to my picnic tap is about half full of air and no matter how much I try and run it out it is still there. Any ideas???

Sounds like you overcarbed the beer, and the pockets of CO2 forming in the line are a symptom, not the cause. What process did you use to carbonate it? What temperature is the beer at and what's your serving pressure? To fix an overcarbed beer, you'll probably need to disconnect it from the gas, and vent the excess pressure. Keep venting the pressure every time you think about it for a few days, and keep checking the carbonation until it comes down to where you want it.

if the line is warm, that will also encourage CO2 to come out of the beer and form those pockets of air in the line. if its being caused by temperature and not overcarbonation, the problem would go away after dispensing the first foamy pint or two.

if its overcarbonated, it will continuously happen no matter how much you pour out.

I had this same problem with my first keg too. It wasn't overcarbed but the o-ring between the dip-tube and post (under the connector) was bad and letting CO2 into the airline. Took me about 1/2 a keg of 2oz pours to figure that one out.

If you carbed the same way as last time, I'd bet this is the problem.

Back