Air in the Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cglkaptc

Reaction score
Air in the Beer. Turns out I am a poet and didn't even know it. (lets see if I can keep the song theme going)

So when I rack from primary to secondare,
towards the end it starts to suck up air,
and blow bubbles in my beer,
and from what I read and what I hear,
Maybe this should give me a scare.

Anyway, my first batch this happened and it turned out fine, but I am wondering if I keep this habit up, will it start to show?

A little o2 in your beer (like that you get when the siphon runs out of liquid and sucks half air/half liquid) is definitely not going to harm the final product. Same for some headspace left in your secondary (common question) - although less is safer, it should have little/no effect on the final product.

What you dont want to do is take your primary and just dump it (think: glug glug glug glug splash splash splash) into secondary or take your secondary and just dump it into a keg. Excessive o2 might oxidize/stale the beer a bit quicker.

Cliffnotes: It's nearly impossible (unless transferring using co2 in a closed system) to transfer beer without getting some o2 in it. You just look to minimize this best as possible...

A few bubbles in your beer is not going to ruin anything. Such large bubbles will not dissolve significantly in the short time it takes them to get through the beer, so as long as it's only a few seconds of bubbling it should hardly make a difference. Just try to keep it to a minimum - usually I tilt the carboy so it sucks liquid until the VERY last bit, and when it starts to suck air I quickly lift the autosiphon up to break the siphon and stop the air.

Back