Air compressor for 20 ton press?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstreiss

Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading my gear to a 20 ton air powered press. I've been look at the equipment from Harbor Freight (20 ton press and a 20 to air powered press). However, in new to air compressors have now no idea how big a tank or how many cfm I should be looking at. Currently I don't seeing using the compressor for much else, so hoping to keep it on the smaller end of the range.

I would expect the CFM requirement to be very low. I looked at the PDF manuals and they didn't even list a CFM requirement. But you'll want something that can deliver 120 PSI. I would probably start with a 6-gallon Porter Cable pancake compressor. Those will go to 150 PSI and are portable and extremely handy, and from what I recall they give about twice the CFM of Harbor Freight's little compressor. You should be able to get one for $100; I don't know what the list price is but they go on sale for that all the time. (at least they used to.) If it's not big enough, you'll still be glad you have it for airing up tires, etc.

I might delicately add before going to measures, first, maybe grab two off-the-shelf apple, throw in a quart of pomegranate, and a make the rubber hit the road with a packet of M02 ... it will only be good, good, good ... and easy ... go from there

The newer oil less ones are really nice and quiet. Can actually hear yourself think when they’re running.

I would expect the CFM requirement to be very low. I looked at the PDF manuals and they didn't even list a CFM requirement. But you'll want something that can deliver 120 PSI. I would probably start with a 6-gallon Porter Cable pancake compressor. Those will go to 150 PSI and are portable and extremely handy, and from what I recall they give about twice the CFM of Harbor Freight's little compressor. You should be able to get one for $100; I don't know what the list price is but they go on sale for that all the time. (at least they used to.) If it's not big enough, you'll still be glad you have it for airing up tires, etc.
@z-bob, thank you. I'll look around. I remember seeing a YouTube video, perhaps by Alan Yelvington, where someone was using a 20 ton press and they felt their compressor was a bit under sized and ran almost all the time.

Last edited:
The newer oil less ones are really nice and quiet. Can actually hear yourself think when they’re running.
I'll have to go test drive one. I was gifted a smaller pancake compressor a while back and I feel like you can hear it a block away.

@z-bob gave a good description.

So conventional air compressors can be being used for powering apple presses?

Regarding air compressors, a recent trend is to double pressure into the same sized tanks to limit motor runtime so a possibility is to consider something that goes significantly higher than conventional. Modern portable compressors are typically well make
Interesting. I'll have to research that.

I might delicately add before going to measures, first, maybe grab two off-the-shelf apple, throw in a quart of pomegranate, and a make the rubber hit the road with a packet of M02 ... it will only be good, good, good ... and easy ... go from there
We're planning on doing about 100 gallons a year, but there's definitely room for experimentation. We've done a couple of mixed berry ciders that were out of this world.

I just finished my first pressing day with my new 40L (10 gal) hydraulic basket press. I had toyed with the idea of going with that whole stationery press/air compressor system but decided the hydraulic basket press sounded simpler and fit my style better. Yesterday's pressing has made me a believer. Super easy to load with scratted apples, super easy to hook up the garden hose for hydraulic pressure, super fast juice out, and a super dry cake of pomace. A single load and press was giving me a routine 5 gallons of juice. I did 6 loads in the afternoon and filled my fermentors with 30 gallons of juice. You might be able to get your total system for less, but at about $700 for the hydraulic basket system on that hated/loved online retailer's site, I challenge you if you calculate your all-in costs included frames, cloths, etc. Not to mention operating ease. YMMV.

40L hydro press.jpg

@docbot, good to hear first hand info. I've always discounted bladder presses for no apparent reason. I did look on the huge Seattle company's website and at least one ad says bladder presses get about 50% juice. What is your experience? 50 seems pow to me.

My current cloth and rack press is getting about 60% (maybe 65%) but seems slower. We did 35 gallons yesterday including washinh and grinding.

I was reading test a 20 ton press might get as hIgh as 75-80%. But it would probably be closer to $2k to kit it all out.

I'm thinking about upgrading my gear to a 20 ton air powered press. I've been look at the equipment from Harbor Freight (20 ton press and a 20 to air powered press). However, in new to air compressors have now no idea how big a tank or how many cfm I should be looking at. Currently I don't seeing using the compressor for much else, so hoping to keep it on the smaller end of the range.
I use basically the same material. My grinder is not full inox and my 20T air press is not the same brand but look s exactly identical.
Both work very well.
I use a little compressor with no tank for the pres. It is slow but enough to press stronger than you can with the handy lever.

@docbot, good to hear first hand info. I've always discounted bladder presses for no apparent reason. I did look on the huge Seattle company's website and at least one ad says bladder presses get about 50% juice. What is your experience? 50 seems pow to me.

My current cloth and rack press is getting about 60% (maybe 65%) but seems slower. We did 35 gallons yesterday including washinh and grinding.

I was reading test a 20 ton press might get as hIgh as 75-80%. But it would probably be closer to $2k to kit it all out.
Hi BS:
My experience is that percent yield also varies quite a bit with variety. I've gotten upwards of 60% with some. I just processed my first harvest of 'goldrush' yesterday and got about 55%, but I only had about 16 lbs available, so used my antique screw/basket press instead of the hydro. Hoping for a much larger harvest next season as my trees come into their bearing years.

So, I had read some comments about lower yields with hydro, and on my first runs with the new press I was prepared to end up with a fairly wet cake, but in fact I was very impressed with how very dry the cakes were. I can't compare to rack & cloth, because I don't have one. Can only compare to the basket press which I think is pretty darned close to rack & cloth (I use cloth filter bags in the basket). My cakes are drier from the hydraulic press. Of course YMMV. 75-80% would be amazing.

Back