Quantcast

AHS Spring Maibock

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
saw it as well. Thought hard about ordering it since Spaten's Maibock (the only one i've ever had) is so damn good.

let us know how you like it.

OP
Firstnten

Firstnten

Reaction score
Brewed it this past weekend.

OG 1.052-4

Seems darker then they described it.

Thumper

Reaction score
Extract...........
No worries then, it is just the extract making it darker. The flavor will not be affected. Have you read anything about late addition of extract? That can help lighten the color a little.

cheers,

OP
Firstnten

Firstnten

Reaction score
i'm brewing this too - about to move to secondary tomorrow
You'll be done before me if you're kegging it. Please let me know what you think. Did you follow the directions for Partial boil?

I started out as a partial boil without thinking, with the seeping grains and then 10 mins in I re-read the directions. From now on I'll go over the directions aheda of time.

Not sure why they wanted 2 1/2 gallons to seep the grains with as opposed to all 5 gallons or four and then pour that last gallon over the grains. I'm sure someone here has a reason why.

OP
Firstnten

Firstnten

Reaction score
This is the fourth beer I have made, and is by far the most foul smelling.

Does the stink mean anything? Or is it just par for the course?

OP
Firstnten

Firstnten

Reaction score
Kegged and am drinking this now. Starts out real hoppy like an IPA then finishes a sweet bread after taste. Not sure if this is right terminology but this is how me and my friends have described it.

slinn

Reaction score
thanks for updating. I have this in primary right now, brewed it last Friday. Right now it looks like the MS River, just muddy looking. But it is slowly fermenting, looking forward to testing it several weeks from now. I'm surprised that it has the hoppy taste, as there really wasn't much hops in the recipe. Oh well, there you go!

OP
Firstnten

Firstnten

Reaction score
thanks for updating. I have this in primary right now, brewed it last Friday. Right now it looks like the MS River, just muddy looking. But it is slowly fermenting, looking forward to testing it several weeks from now. I'm surprised that it has the hoppy taste, as there really wasn't much hops in the recipe. Oh well, there you go!
Mine was real muddy looking also but after it cleared and was kegged the color is more blonde then amber.

darkstar79

Reaction score
I brewed their ayinger maibock clone in january and just kegged it yesterday after finishing up the longer lagering period. It tasted great. crisp and clear as well.

lebshiff21

Reaction score
Kegged and am drinking this now. Starts out real hoppy like an IPA then finishes a sweet bread after taste. Not sure if this is right terminology but this is how me and my friends have described it.
So you didn't lager it at all?

CLBrewer

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying this one as well. How long did you all ferment and lager. Does 6 to 8 weeks sound right? This would be my first lager. I'm lucky that I have a beer fridge on my hands for fermenting in Texas.