AHS Reviews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codym

Reaction score
Has anyone ever read thru the reviews on the AHS website? I'm about to have 10 days off work and was trying to pick out a couple kits to brew and after reading the reviews for about 10 beers I'm starting to wonder if what I'm reading is bull****. Every single review is over the top positive about how it was the best beer ever. Just wondering if anyone out there knows if this is just a marketing strategy or can attest that they have left this type of review.

I have bought several kits (some extract, some all grain) from AHS, they have all turned out very well. I have bought American IPA, American Light Lager, Blonde Ale, Porter, Saison, Shiner Bock, Stout, Texas Blonde. AHS is one of my top suppliers.

I started out using the kits and recipes from AHS. I've probably done 10-15 from them and all have been true to description. Their clone kits do a solid job replicating their target. Their original recipes that I've ordered in styles that I'm a big fan of, always came out delicious (unless I screwed something up while brewing). I'll give them two thumbs up and a confidant recommendation.

I have brewed a few of their ag kits, they turned out great! As you probably know they have tons of recipes! I wouldn't recommend the alcohol booster they sell. I've been to the store once passing thru, nice, clean, lots of help and friendly. They put your order together when you order it! My 2 cents! I do order a lot from northern also.

I hate to be a fan boy, but I've had great success with their kits. I've brewed 10+.

Having said this, I've also had great luck with MoreBeer signature series, High Gravity's house recipes, and Northern Brewer kits.

Now when I buy kits it is a question of price, shipping and type of recipe on offer.

Now that their shipping on kits is free it is my go to. Have done the budget kolsch(dry hopped) budget ipa honey wheat and have a citra pale ale on the way

Great service no problems so far

I've actually written a review for one of their kits and it took a few days to post. I'm sure that they hold them for review. Having said that, they didn't censure or modify my review.

I just yesterday opened for the first time a sam smith oatmeal stout clone I brewed from their kit. It tastes amazing. Extract kit, $40 including yeast and shipping.

I got in on the 2-for-1 sale on their Kalamazoo IPA, went with milled AG and got horrible efficiency. Both batches were in the high 50s when I'm normally in the mid 70s. I don't typically hear that from them so I assume it was a fluke off day with their mill, but I haven't purchased milled grain from them since, and probably won't. I've brewed a couple of their extract kits and was happy with those, though.

I have limited experience because I only did one kit (double chocolate stout) and it was years ago, so take this with a grain of salt. It was an alright stout but it wasn't the best. The kit had extract that came in a bucket and it was sticky with extract all over the outside. There was no real incentive for me to try them again.

I found a number of other closer stores (faster shipping) that had kits that came in good condition and tasted great. If you live near AHS, I say give them a shot and see what you think. If you live far away...it's your call. There are plenty of really great stores.

I just finished their Cream Ale kit and it has been a great beer! Racked off 5gal on top of Raspberries for secondary and the wife is in love with my hobby. The other 5gal is great as well, two completely different beers. The instructions are very well written out and tech support is always a phone call away. I added the yeast nutrient option with the kit and it came with the WLP-080 made a starter 24hrs before pitching. Fermentation was FAST!!! 6hrs after pitch 1in kreusen, 12hrs after I had to put on blow off tubes. 72hrs it went from 1.052 to 1.013. Both are ow on tap and they are great!

Oh.... one more thing to add. This was my first attempt ever at home brewing. Been doing a lot reading and studying. Lots of planning was involved and debating on kits. Glad I went with AHS. Plus they are only an hour drive for me.

Give one of the budget kits a try and see what you think.

I've actually written a review for one of their kits and it took a few days to post. I'm sure that they hold them for review. Having said that, they didn't censure or modify my review.

This is the sort of thing I've been wondering about. Nonetheless it seems most people have been this satisfied with their beer. Just ordered sunset wheat, blue moon, and American light lager.

I've left reviews for their Session Series American Brown Ale and their Budget Pale Ale.

I was not happy with the results of one of their kits, but did not leave a negative review because I feel that my process may have been the problem, not the recipe.

I think this is common for kit reviews for all the retailers. These kits are designed for success with novice brewers.
A common thread seems to be "this is my 1st beer and it's great!"

I've purchased quite a few kits from them and had good results with every single one. Some better than others, but that may be personal taste. I have noticed that some reviews have disappeared. In particular I can think of 2, one complaining a beer came out too sweet because the person added in the malto dextrin and advised to leave it out (bad information) and another was referencing an ingredient that was no longer used in the kit. These reviews could have been removed by the user, but even if they weren't, I'd be ok with them removing those reviews.

Overall, I'm very happy with AHS, especially since they seem to be the only store that will ship you oz of most grains, instead of having to buy whole lbs/bulk.

Never purchased a kit from them, but lately they've been my go to supplier. Normal crush with BIAB is yielding me in the nieghborhood of 75% eff always. I'm a fan, and most likely won't shop anywhere else online.

I have brewed about 20 AHS kits, and have reviewed each, usually very positive, but on at least two* I have dinged them on spicing issues. I have read many reviews that are not 100% positive. All of my reviews were posted immediately. I don't believe I have the option to remove any.

IOW, I'd generally trust the reviews. I've never relied on them, but SWMBO gets to pick every other brew, and she has made some choices based on the reviews.

* AHS Holiday Chocolate Stout was short in chocolate and spices in our opinions.
Allagrash Grand Cru came without coriander.

Hmm, here's a negative review that didn't deter me from ordering. (I'm John M. P.)

"Comments
Allagash Grand Cru
Comment by John M. P on Sunday 14 July, 2013
Close but no c... Coriander. Good though.

Comment by Rod M on Thursday 01 October, 2009
I've made perhaps 20 AHS clones and of the 20 only 2 have been bad and this is by far the worst! Way over spiced. Mini Mash, full boil. I;ve waited 5 months for it to mellow but still tastes like cleaner but not an infected one. Just a bad tasting cleaner. Sorry Forrest! I think this is a do over for ya!"

Back