AHS Recipe Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nope, share the wealth, recipes arent patented. Other big homebrew sites list the recipes right on there site

nope, share the wealth, recipes are patented. Other big homebrew sites list the recipes right on there site
No idea what this statement means. First, nobody patents recipes. Copyright maybe but not patent. Second, some sites post their recipes. Others like to keep them private. It's not your decision to post unless AHS doesn't mind. Just sayin'...

its a homebrew shop, they sell recipes, once you purchase it, your free to share it or do whatever you wwant with it after.

please lets keep this on topic with recipes only

Out of respect for AHS, I won't post any that I have. If they wanted them on the web; they'd post 'em.

Most other stores don't have ~1600 custom recipes like AHS does....

Just my $:02...

dude i just posted keep it on topic with recipes only

no, i specifically posted please keep it on topic and dont post opinions. do you have a quote from AHS to not post recipes?

Here's one:

We will gladly tell you what is in any kit, you just have to ask. We have the most kits and most award winning kits. If you read the reviews on our web site you will see that we have the best kits.

I just don't want our website to be the recipe database for other homebrew stores. Also, if the recipes are posted, people just take the recipe to their local place to be filled. I develop the recipes and I would like people to buy my recipe from me at least once. The instructions have full disclosure. Then when you love the recipe, you can buy the ingredients anywhere you like. Sounds reasonable right?

Forrest

I'll keep searching if you would like...

so AHS doesnt support people supporting local places?

i have quotes also from them saying buy wherever you can get the best price

so AHS doesnt support people supporting local places?

:confused:

Did you read what Forrest wrote?

Austinhomebrew said:
Then when you love the recipe, you can buy the ingredients anywhere you like. Sounds reasonable right?

or did you only read

Austinhomebrew said:
develop the recipes and I would like people to buy my recipe from me at least once.

:confused:

"Also, if the recipes are posted, people just take the recipe to their local place to be filled"

Your point?

Austinhomebrew said:
I would like people to buy my recipe from me at least once

I would hate for AHS to discontinue supplying their completely recipe upon purchase because some people have decided to post everything on-line....

Man they go through a lot to develop those recipes that you love. Show some respect. If they wanted them public, they would publish them.

I only shop at AHS, so theres nothing lost on me!

But I agree with AZ_IPA and Forrest... There may not be a law against it (maybe there is?), but out of respect of Forrest, AHS, and the time and energy they spend making these great recipes, I'm not posting any of the ones I have.

Plus, they are my LHBS. We should all support and respect my LHBS. ;-)

mods please delete off topic

You bet!

Post with recipes are being deleting. If a vendor wanted their recipes public, they'd post them themselves. You can't just be someone who demands it becomes public and then demand who can post their opinions. That's not the way a forum works.

You bet!

Post with recipes are being deleting. If a vendor wanted their recipes public, they'd post them themselves. You can't just be someone who demands it becomes public and then demand who can post their opinions. That's not the way a forum works.

You're the mod, your choice. But just a thought.

If the vendor didn't want the recipes public, the vendor shouldn't give them out to the public.

for the record, atleast one of the recipes posted that was deleted was found through searching this forum

You're the mod, your choice. But just a thought.

If the vendor didn't want the recipes public, the vendor shouldn't give them out to the public.

So, you're saying he shouldn't put the recipes in the kit with the instructions? Just send a bag of grains and some hops, without labeling?

I don't really care either way, but will respect Forrest's wishes. Jamil Z publishes his recipes, and some homebrew stores choose not to. It's not a big deal to me, but it should be the decision of the person originating the recipe, wouldn't you say?

Recipes copied from books aren't allowed, without permission, due to copyright laws. I don't care if people use my recipes, as I'm not in the business of creating and selling books and/or ingredients. I might care quite a bit if people used them without permission, though.

dont want to get banned, but this is a quote from ollo, another mod,

"Quote:
Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.
Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to names, titles, short phrases, ideas, systems, or methods.
Source: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

IMO the recipe does not have substantial literary expression."

its not about copyright laws....its about respect for the person who put the time and effort into developing the recipe. If they wanted them public, they would make them so. Just because you bought the recipe doesnt mean that the recipe writer is ok with you giving his work away for free to everybody on the internet.

dont want to get banned, but this is a quote from ollo, another mod,

"Quote:

Source: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

IMO the recipe does not have substantial literary expression."

Forrest specifically said he wants people to buy his kits, and them make a choice on where to buy the ingredients next time. I think that's fair and I will respect his wishes.

If you choose not to, you will probably be happier in another forum as you've sent me more than a few messages about this, to the point of harassment. I have other interests in my life beside dealing with your unhappiness, and even one more message will be above and beyond harassment.

If you don't like this decision, again- please take it up with TxBrew. He is the ultimate authority and makes the decisions around here. I don't need any more grief over this.

To me it gets down to this...

Respect the forum; Respect the vendors; Respect the posters (in no order at all....just common respect)....

They don't. They give them to people who buy them.

Who, by definition, are members of the public. You sign no NDA when you buy from AHS.

So, you're saying he shouldn't put the recipes in the kit with the instructions? Just send a bag of grains and some hops, without labeling?

I'm saying that if you send the recipes out to the public with your product, you shouldn't be surprised when the public gets access to them.

Where the vendor takes it from there is entirely up to them.

Ok, here is what this really should come down to and hopefully help stop any issues. Bottom line is that recipes are not copyrighted and there is nothing stopping anyone from spreading the recipes other than respecting what the originator asks. Now with that said, this is a privately owned and operated website and they control and have the final say over ALL content on the site. While there is nothing stopping someone (legally) from posting the recipes, there is nothing stopping the site from not allowing it.

If you choose not to, you will probably be happier in another forum as you've sent me more than a few messages about this, to the point of harassment. I have other interests in my life beside dealing with your unhappiness, and even one more message will be above and beyond harassment.?
For the record, in my opinion, i came nowhere clsoe to harassment:
1st PM: after having a few beers, and after chatting with you multiple times in the chat and on FG podcast live chats, I pmed you: “wtf, come to chat why you deleted the recipes fsihahah!”
2nd pm after your response since you use to be a regular in the chat and are good friends with many of the regulars
“its being discussed in chat, majority disagrees with you”
3rd pm after your response:
“i dont see anywhere in the forum rules saying posting recipes is against the rules...its not like i stole the recipes”
thats all the PMs i sent.

Ok, here is what this really should come down to and hopefully help stop any issues. Bottom line is that recipes are not copyrighted and there is nothing stopping anyone from spreading the recipes other than respecting what the originator asks. Now with that said, this is a privately owned and operated website and they control and have the final say over ALL content on the site. While there is nothing stopping someone (legally) from posting the recipes, there is nothing stopping the site from not allowing it.

well said, AHS chooses not to have his own forum, there are many equally supporting sponsers who post recipes for people to choose where they order. I disagree with deleting and censoring the recipes, but this will be my last comment on the topic due to not wanting to be banned.

"So if Forrest said "I put a lot of work into my website, and that thread on credit card fraud is hurting my business", should it be deleted? " Im sure that thread is against his wishes but its not deleted.

Again, for the record, i wont post in the thread again, im done on the topic in hopes of staying a member

For what it's worth, I walked into AHS a couple of weeks ago with Yooper's DFH 60 minute clone recipe in hand:

AHS salesguy: You know we have this kit. (prints their recipe page)

Me: That's OK. This is from HomeBrewTalk. (printer whirs)

AHS salesguy: Yeah, that's where we get them.

We compare the recipes. They are NOT the same.

Me: Er, I'll stick with the HBT version. (Tried, true & highly recommended)

I guess the point is that there are many different sources for recipes, and the homebrew shops have the same opportunity to browse them as we do.

I think that the only reason that the salesguy wanted to use their recipe was that he could print the grain bill sticker easily, and not have to try to read my henscratch handwriting. Can't say I blame him. :)

Forrest specifically said he wants people to buy his kits, and them make a choice on where to buy the ingredients next time. I think that's fair and I will respect his wishes.

If you choose not to, you will probably be happier in another forum as you've sent me more than a few messages about this, to the point of harassment. I have other interests in my life beside dealing with your unhappiness, and even one more message will be above and beyond harassment.

If you don't like this decision, again- please take it up with TxBrew. He is the ultimate authority and makes the decisions around here. I don't need any more grief over this.

So no Wiki-recipes?:D

Maybe I can help make things a little more clear. This is a privately owned and operated forum. As such, the administrator can restrict content beyond constitutional free speech. While it may be legal to publicly divulge recipes, this site is not publicly owned.

Forrest is a long time contributor to and supporter of HBT. Not only does he give site members discounts and specials on a regular basis, he goes out of his way to find threads concerning his business and directly address questions and concerns, both positive and negative. It is in everyone's best interest that Austin Homebrew and HBT remain on good terms. Since Forrest prefers that his recipes not be published here, we will respect his wishes.

i never buy kits from ahs and i think others do the same for the same reason. when i did buy kits i got them from retailers that let me know what i was buying. ahs can do as they please but they have lost sales from it. it's not like the other stores recipes are not good.

MOD EDIT:
Conroe means that he'd like to see the recipe listed in the product description so that he knows what's in the kit prior to buying it.

The people that have posted have expressed my views.

I have the most kits. I have the most award winning kits. I simply have the best kits.

There are a lot of stores that can't come up with thier own recipes. I don't want to become a recipe database for other stores. That is why I don't have the recipes on my site.

Also, I give the full recipe when you buy the kit so after that you can and probably will buy the ingredients elsewhere.

Every post of one of my recipes is taking money away from me. No one is geting rich running a homebrew store. I just deserve to make some money on a product I have developed. I am sure you understand.

Forrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back