AHS Pumpkin FG Stalled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

alexriverajr

Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I brewed a 5 Gallon - AHS Pumpkin Ale (16E) Extract kit that has an OG of 1.052 and it seems to be stalled at 1.021 after 8 days in the primary. The FG is supposed to 1.013. The instruction state that after 5-7 days the gravity should within 3-4 points, i'm currently at 7 points aways. Should I just leave in the primary for another week or should I rack it to the secondary. Or is there anything else I can do to salvage this batch.

flars

Reaction score
What yeast did you use? Some yeasts are very low attenuators. Has the fermenting beer experienced temperature swings? Large temperature swings can cause the yeast to drop out.

Some yeasts just take longer to finish than the generic recipes describe. Racking a problem fermentation to a secondary vessel will only compound the fermentation problem. Plan to leave it in the primary until FG is measured.

Were you planning a secondary vessel for an addition to the beer?

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I brewed a 5 Gallon - AHS Pumpkin Ale (16E) Extract kit that has an OG of 1.052 and it seems to be stalled at 1.021 after 8 days in the primary. The FG is supposed to 1.013. The instruction state that after 5-7 days the gravity should within 3-4 points, i'm currently at 7 points aways. Should I just leave in the primary for another week or should I rack it to the secondary. Or is there anything else I can do to salvage this batch.
I think that he major problem is that the yeast can't read. They just go on their merry way, attenuating at their pace. I'd probably warm the beer just a few degrees and give the yeast more time. :rockin:

OP
A

alexriverajr

Reaction score
What yeast did you use? Some yeasts are very low attenuators. Has the fermenting beer experienced temperature swings? Large temperature swings can cause the yeast to drop out.

Some yeasts just take longer to finish than the generic recipes describe. Racking a problem fermentation to a secondary vessel will only compound the fermentation problem. Plan to leave it in the primary until FG is measured.

No temperature swing it has been in a solid 68 degree closet. I'll take your advice and leave it alone. Thanks for the help.

OP
A

alexriverajr

Reaction score

No temperature swings it has been in a solid 68 degree closet. I'll take your advice and leave it alone for another week. The secondary is getting another spice pack for added flavor. Thanks for the help.

Nil

Reaction score
Can you let me know the wort pH before pitching?

OP
A

alexriverajr

Reaction score
Nil it worked itself out. I had to check my hydrometer and determined that it was 4 point off.......the brew is good now.

Latest posts