AHS Promotional Amber Ale for $19.99

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdefulvio

Reaction score
I hope this is the right forum to post this.

I just noticed Austin Homebrew has an AHS Promotional Amber Ale kit for $19.99 plus the price of yeast. I was thinking of doing a Fat Tire clone next since I've been hearing a lot of good reviews on that. Is it worth saving $10 to get the Promotional Ale over their AHS American Amber Ale which they describe as similar to Fat Tire?

Is it worth the extra money to also go with the liquid yeast? My first two batches included dry yeast.

My second brew was the AHS Honey Brown Ale kit which I bottled over the weekend, and although it's not yet carbonated, it already tastes great.

The Promo Amber is selling really fast so I have come up with another. I will post it tomorrow. It is a Dark Chocolate Raspberry Stout.

Forrest

Where do you get all these recipes? You have HUNDREDS of kits! There's no way you've brewed them all, is there? Every one I've gotten has been at least good, and there's been some fantastic ones. (Honey Wheat never lasts long around my apartment.)

One of my employees named Charles and I create the recipes. About 35 years of combined experience and Charles has been to Seibel and to many other classes.

Austinhomebrew said:
The Promo Amber is selling really fast so I have come up with another. I will post it tomorrow. It is a Dark Chocolate Raspberry Stout.

Forrest

Looks like I'm gonna be brewing soon - this one sounds interesting!

Forrest, I see there is now a section on www.austinhomebrew.com for AHS promotional recipe kits. Does this mean that there could be a number of potentially rotating kits on there that we should keep an eye out for? I'm looking forward to giving the stout a whirl! Cheers!

I suggest a form of APA/IPA that might give some people a new perspective on hops. I.E. Hops you can get, something that utilizes the Sorachi and/or Sladek hops. Personally, I have never had either. (I don't think anyway.)

Just a thought, it might usher some people to use them as a quality substitution to the hops we could have gotten were it no for the shortage.

Like I said, just an idea.....

I think a nice nut brown might be a good thing to have on tap for the spring... And possibly something light and lagery for the summer

I have been thinking about an american wheat for the spring, was gonna be buying from you for the first time. A promo would be nice! haha. I'll still be order with you either way man.

Eb

I suggest a form of APA/IPA that might give some people a new perspective on hops. I.E. Hops you can get, something that utilizes the Sorachi and/or Sladek hops. Personally, I have never had either. (I don't think anyway.)

I want to try to make a pale ale with Sorachi Ace hops sometime...it just sounds like the flavor would be interesting.

Austinhomebrew said:
Is there another style of beer you want a promo kit for? Suggestions?

Forrest

If you offered a Belgian Tripel/IPA, like Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, you'd be my hero (and I'd be an excited customer)

:D

+1 on the IPA or ale using non-traditional hops. I would buy one of those AG kits.

cowgo said:
+1 on the IPA or ale using non-traditional hops. I would buy one of those AG kits.

+2 Haven't done an IPA since my first kit and it's probably my favorite style. I really like the idea of experimenting with the unknown hops for future substitutions. Thanks for asking. By the way, my order came today and it looks great! Can't wait to fire up the kettle!

Austinhomebrew said:

Forrest

I would love to see an authentic Koelsch-style ale :)

bensyverson said:
Yeah, that's where I order from... they seem to have the organic market cornered.

It's not that they have it cornered, it is that there is not enough demand or availability of the ingredients so other stores don't pursue it.

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick, but I think there would be more demand if certain prominent HB retailers took the lead and championed the benefits to customers. Organics don't taste any different, but they're better for the environment, the land, the farmers, and the consumer.

And (to get this back on-topic) a kit could be a great way to introduce people to organic brewing...

bensyverson said:
I'm honestly not trying to be a dick, but I think there would be more demand if certain prominent HB retailers took the lead and championed the benefits to customers. Organics don't taste any different, but they're better for the environment, the land, the farmers, and the consumer.

And (to get this back on-topic) a kit could be a great way to introduce people to organic brewing...

I understand your point and you are not being a dick. Honestly, I get 1 or 2 people a year that ask for anything organic. The largest distrubutor of supplies tried carrying organic grain but the demand wasn't there so they stopped.

I will look into carrying the organic malt extract.

Forrest

I think organic ingredients would be great if you can get them for a decent price. Availability (especially of hops) may be too inconsistent to offer organic recipe kits, but maybe that could be addressed by adding a "Substitute organic ingredients when available" option when ordering. Partially organic is better than not organic at all.

Would organic dry malt extract be ok? It has a better shelf life. I can create some recipe kits with organic hops if I can find them. I don't know if I will be able to carry the grain though.

Forrest

Austinhomebrew said:
Would organic dry malt extract be ok? It has a better shelf life. I can create some recipe kits with organic hops if I can find them. I don't know if I will be able to carry the grain though.

Forrest

Sounds good.

Austinhomebrew said:

Forrest

Forrest I would like to see a Winter Warmer style beer. It would be awsome if you could clone the Rahr & Sons Winter Warmer. I found a kit on nb but i would rather support you since i see you on the forums. I would like to brew this in the next few months so i could have some ready by december. Or a clone of Ugly Pug would be cool also.

Thanks

Austinhomebrew said:
:mug:
That's awesome! I think anything is a step in the right direction. I've brewed with Breiss Organic DME, and it's great... If it was offered as an option in the extract kits, I think a lot of people might go for it. There seems to be an okay supply of organic hops out there, but strangely, they're mostly from abroad (New Zealand and Europe).

bensyverson said:
Organics don't taste any different, but they're better for the environment, the land, the farmers, and the consumer.

:off: Organics are not always better for the environment. It depends on how they are meeting the organic criteria. The disuse of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides can be easy off set by the extra tractor time to till weeds down and/or to burn them by hand. Not to mention fuel to transport and keep cool.
But back on topic I think I would be really good if AHB had some organic options. In the better Portland (Maine) we have a thriving organic brewery, so there is money in it.

Back