AHS Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernBrewMan

Reaction score
I am thinking about ordering an AHS Tripel IPA kit and I wanted to get opinions on their kits. Are the directions easy to follow? How are the quality of ingredients?

Also, does anyone know the IBU's on the AHS Tripel IPA kit?

Thanks!:tank:

I'm sitting on a Stone Brewer Russian Imperial Stout kit from them right now that I'm planning on brewing this week. From my initial inspection. the instructions and ingredients look very good. I just wish they would post their instructions online like Midwest and NB.

Yeah on some of their IPA kits they list the hops and some they don't so not really for sure what hops are going to show up in the Tripel IPA. A little more info and I would be ordering right away but, my wife doesn't want a hop bomb but she does like for a hop forward taste.

Did you do the extract or mini-mash kit? I was thinking of trying the mini-mash kit.

They dont post them because they feel that you should have to pay, at least once, for their recipes. Which seems reasonable enough to me.

I agree about not posting everything maybe just an IBU for this recipe would be great. I will look over @ NB and midwest.

I've made AHS' Stone IPA, Honey Hibiscus Wit, and Guinness extra Stout kits. They all turned out fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

I have done at least 15 of their extract with steeping grain recipes. They all seem top notch to me. From what they say, they are always packed to order, and not pre-boxed kits sitting around the store waiting to be shipped out. You can't go wrong. About the ibu's maybe if you ask, they will let you know.

I am on my 4th extract kit from AHS, and I have been very pleased with the freshness of the ingredients and the quality of the finished product. They have a big selection to choose from.

agree with above. I live in Canada even after shipping, ordering kits from AHS is same or cheaper compare to LHBS, they send them fast (sometimes 2 hours after you order its out of the door), freshennes of ingredients is hard to beat since they turn a lot of them. Instructions good, but who need instructions anyway when you have HBT? :rockin:

I've brewed about 20 kits now, and about 15 of them have been from AHS. Their ingredients have always been great, their shipping is great, and their instructions are great. As posted above, I would have to agree that I would love it if they posted their instructions online. I have ordered from NB a bit because of this. Its nice to know what grains and amounts are going into something when ordering. I bought AHS's smoked amber, and wasn't too thrilled with it. Had I known the ingredients that went in prior to ordering I might have ordered something else. Otherwise, I LOVE their site, I love their kits, and I love their variety. I have emailed them a few times and they have always been a great help. I highly recommend them...... just wish they posted their instructions.....

I think I am going to switch it up and do the AHS Rye IPA. I was thinking of also adding a little flavor by dry hopping does anybody have any suggestions? Oh and should I go with the liquid yeast or dry? I have only done dry yeast so far.

Thanks!

They dont post them because they feel that you should have to pay, at least once, for their recipes. Which seems reasonable enough to me.

They are good about giving them to you if you email/call them. I refuse to buy kits from companies that try to keep their recipes "secret." Some companies don't even tell you what's in the kit after you buy it.

I was very pleased with the mini mash kits they sold me.....I thought the instructs were awesome.....so simple, I could do it!

Fast shipping and excellent service when I found they sent me the wrong carboy cap.

However, I found out they shipped me Amber LME instead of wheat extract AFTER I got my Belgian "White" into the fermenter.

I think the shipping guy might have been hitting the taps a little early. :drunk: Check your order carefully when it comes in!

Love AHS, did the Tripel IPA and was not really thrilled. Its a beer that cant seem to make up its mind if its an IPA or a Tripel. As far as their instructions, I think they are easy to follow and understand. Good luck. My son and I are doing a mini mash clone of DFG 90 Minute IPA.

They are good about giving them to you if you email/call them. I refuse to buy kits from companies that try to keep their recipes "secret." Some companies don't even tell you what's in the kit after you buy it.

FTW - just call them and they will tell you just about anything you want to know... BTW the kits come with a list of ingredients so you know exactly what is in there. It might be a few dollars cheaper to buy individual ingredients, but not worth hassle to me. I'll stick with their kits.

Back