AHS Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
Anyone out there ever by crushed grain from Austin Homebrew Supply? If so, what'd you think?

I have only done partial mash and steeping with AHS grains, but it seemed fine to me.

I get my stuff there all the time.Seems good but ive been having them give me a finer crush and this seems to help.

Ask 'em to set the mill gap to .040 or so, or have them mill it twice and you'll get mid-80's, their default will give you about 74% max if you batch sparge.

Setting the mill at .040 is not the answer. That number is a moving target. What is more important is the crush not the setting. Currently a good crush is around .032 but that will change after tomorrow.

We use a barley crusher and it need some rutine matenence tomorrow.

Forrest

The last batch I got from them was horrible. I ended up with 58% efficiency (should have crushed it more with a rolling pin prior to mashing). I just ordered two more batches and put on the special instructions to give it a better crush. I got the shipment in yesterday and the crush looks spot on for 75% efficiency or so. I'm brewing this weekend so we'll find out - but it looks good.

As Forrest said, mills do require constant adjustment especially when used as much as a shop requires. The crush is going to vary with any shop you buy from but it should get you around 70% efficiency consistently.

I got about 71% on my first All Grain attempt with their crush. I just got my second kit in today and the crust looks ALOT better. I will post updates as soon as I brew.

We are replacing the mill tomorrow. The old mill has seen at least 60 tons of grain. WIth adjustments along the way.

The new mill is an exact replacement from Barley Crusher.

Forrest

Back