AHS Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After signing up several months ago, I have finally gotten some time and money to get a batch going. I even have a few enthusiastic friends who would want to chip in the process and share in the fruits.

We are going to just do one batch. Because morebeer and other places were out of hops, we went with Austin Homebrew Supply Double Chocolate Stout. Has anybody has experience with this company or this kit?

I have never used Austin Homebrew's kits, but I can tell you the company and their kits are well spoke of on this forum.

i live right down the street from AHS. It's great. Their Devils Brew is fracking amazing and hell i've even made their sweet mead recipe.
I havent made the Chocolate stout, but i've made Steam roller stout which was/is so complex and tasty that i was so proud to give it out.
you picked well, stouts take a LOOONNNGGG time to mature, dont get discouraged, and hell make another batch while it's conditioning ;).

Been thinking of doing a stout from AHS for a while but have been holding back because of reading about long fermentations. I am planning a 3rd beer but it has been tough waiting the first 2 out so I would not go with a stout 1st based on my experience.

Go mini-mash from AHS, only marginally more work

Good luck no matter how you go

To be honest, our regular stouts are well balanced so they do not take long to mature. The Double Chocolate Stout is certainly drinkable once it carbonates.
The Imperial stouts will take longer to mature.

The kit came in the mail last night. I was very impressed with how neat and organized the packaging was. They measured all my adjunct grains and mixed them in a cheesecloth bag, then sealed them in heavy plastic. The hops were fresh and packaged in airtight static bags. The other ingredients were equally well prepared.

I look forward to getting started. I think I found my new home brew supplier.

Good luck with the Chocolate stout, post let us know how it turns out!

I'm going to do a "chocolate milk stout" this weekend if I can carve out the time. I'm going to use close to the recipe here and throw some lactose in and see what happens.

I'd be very interested in your experience with this beer. One warning: making beer is super addictive. SWMBO claims I've become totally obsessed.

nb

i just brewed the double chocolate stout kit last night. smelled f'ing great. one thing i noticed is that the brewpot smoked a lot after i added the cocoa powder, as if it were burning. yea, smelled like burning. added some cherries at the very end of the boil and am considering putting in a swuirt of cherry extract in the secondary. anyway, im still waiting for my airlock to start bubbling, but im very exited.

Wheat King said:
i just brewed the double chocolate stout kit last night. smelled f'ing great. one thing i noticed is that the brewpot smoked a lot after i added the cocoa powder, as if it were burning. yea, smelled like burning. added some cherries at the very end of the boil and am considering putting in a swuirt of cherry extract in the secondary. anyway, im still waiting for my airlock to start bubbling, but im very exited.

That sounds good! When you put the cherries in how many did you put in? and with how long left in the boil?
I think this might be my second batch of beer!

Back