AHS' best IPA??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BrooZer

Reaction score
In your opinion what is the best Extract kit IPA that AHS sells. I want to brew that for my next batch.

david_42

Reaction score
This is a little like asking, "How high is up?" It might be easier if you look at their clones for IPAs you like. I've never purchased one of their IPA kits, but their clone kits are very good.

OP
B

BrooZer

Reaction score
what about their version of Anchor Steam's Liberty Ale??

david_42

Reaction score
Try starting a new thread "AHB clone - Anchor Steam's Liberty Ale Opinions?"

Willsellout

Reaction score
I just received the AHS Summit IPA and will be brewing this weekend. I'll let you know in a couple weeks!

Dan

Hardball

Reaction score
I am brewing AHB mini-mash IPA I next.

I will let you know in 3 months how it is.

Willsellout

Reaction score
Hardball said:
I am brewing AHB mini-mash IPA I next.

I will let you know in 3 months how it is.

3 Months? Why so long? Do IPA's require a little more conditioning?

I also ordered the mini mash and will be testing out my new mash tun with it instead of steeping the grains. It should be interesting...

Dan

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
IPAs (especially if > 1.060 gravity) may require a bit more aging due to the gravity alone, but I don't think significantly longer...

Generally speaking, I think 3 months would probably be ideal aging for a medium gravity brew, in my opinion... I would never judge a beer (well, I would but wouldnt expect it to be at its best) after only 6 weeks (1-2-3 rule). 6 weeks plus an addition 4-6 weeks of aging (maybe cold aging in the fridge), then I would expect something pretty good for a medium gravity ale.

Willsellout

Reaction score
SilkkyBrew said:
IPAs (especially if > 1.060 gravity) may require a bit more aging due to the gravity alone, but I don't think significantly longer...

Generally speaking, I think 3 months would probably be ideal aging for a medium gravity brew, in my opinion... I would never judge a beer (well, I would but wouldnt expect it to be at its best) after only 6 weeks (1-2-3 rule). 6 weeks plus an addition 4-6 weeks of aging (maybe cold aging in the fridge), then I would expect something pretty good for a medium gravity ale.

gotcha! Thanks.

Hardball

Reaction score
I agree on the aging, that is why I am hesitant to enter this homebrewers' contest this weekend. The ESB I have is very raw (3 weeks in the bottle) but it is all I have and I want the experience of having my brew judged (good or bad), just to say I have done it.

brewt00l

Reaction score
Willsellout said:
3 Months? Why so long? Do IPA's require a little more conditioning?

I also ordered the mini mash and will be testing out my new mash tun with it instead of steeping the grains. It should be interesting...

Dan
fwiw, I tend to like my IPAs when they are fresh and feisty as well as when they have aged a bit.

For the OP, I agree with the previous advice of brewing to your preferences since the question at hand is so subjective.

Reaction score
I just bought & brewed THB 10th Anniversary IPA OG 1.065..itsays that u can drink it after 3 months,But that it is much much better @ 6Months they say its worth the wait . I sure hope so as it was kinda pricey...

OP
B

BrooZer

Reaction score
i just ordered the AHS Liberty Ale clone.

How do you guys suggest aging? 1 week in primary and then 4 in secondary or what would you suggest?

brewt00l

Reaction score
BrooZer said:
i just ordered the AHS Liberty Ale clone.

How do you guys suggest aging? 1 week in primary and then 4 in secondary or what would you suggest?
Try the 1-2-3 schedule that many folks use. Though, I generally start sampling after about 2 weeks in the bottle.

OP
B

BrooZer

Reaction score
I use the 1-2-3 sched usually but ive never brewed medium to high gravity brews.

brewt00l

Reaction score
BrooZer said:
I use the 1-2-3 sched usually but ive never brewed medium to high gravity brews.

You're going to be hitting around 6%, which usually works out well with the 123 schedule for me..YMMV