AHS Belgian White Mini-mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddemaagd

Reaction score
This is my first partial mash beer.

The instructions say to soak the grains in 2 1/2 gallons of water @ 155 degrees for 45 mins. After that to dunk the bag a few times in and out and then place a strainer on a pot and put the grain bag in that strainer. It then says to pour 1 quart of water per 2 lb of grain and allow the bag to drip into the pot...

My question is... do i place the strainer over the same pot that i steeped the grains in, or do i use a new pot??? If i use a new pot it seems like i'll only have a gallon max of liquid...

Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Thanks for the help!

I think you are getting partial mash and steeping grains confused. What you are describing is steeping the grains.

You can either just let it drip for a bit or you can rinse it off with a bit of hot water. You can do it all in the same pot.

I just brewed my first partial mash Beer, and what worked for me was to buy a 5 gallon Rubbermaid Cooler. I got my strike temp up to 163*F in an old brew pot, mashed in my grains in the Cooler, and checked to make sure that my water was the right temp. (It wasn't, I had to add some hot water to get it up to 153*F) I let it sit for 45 minutes, and then took the first runnings from the spout and poured it back into the Cooler until the Wort ran clear. Then I put that into my Turkey Fryer, pulled the grains out, and poured (very slowly) 168*F water over them through a strainer and into the Turkey Fryer. My OG was actually about 10 points higher than the recipe said it would be.

I think you are getting partial mash and steeping grains confused. What you are describing is steeping the grains.

You can either just let it drip for a bit or you can rinse it off with a bit of hot water. You can do it all in the same pot.

I think he is saying 1 Qt. per 2 lbs. of grain, but that the total grain bill is more, hence the partial mash.

I don't know if this is the *right* answer, but when I do the mini-mash kits from AHS I just use two pots. The main pot for the initial 155 and then a second pot for the "rinsing" of the grains.

I heat the water in the second pot to the correct temp while the first pot is steeping, then just gently dunk and swirl the grain bag in the second pot. Let it sit for a little while, then pour the liquid into the main pot. Letting the bag sit a little longer will also allow more water to come out, which I then add to the boil a little later. Don't squeeze.

Again, I don't know if this is the optimal procedure, but if you're using a grain bag, it seems to work a heck of a lot better than trying to slowly pour the 2 quarts of water over the bag by hand.

I've used a couple of AHS mini-mash kits. About 35 minutes into the steeping, heat 1.5 quarts of water to above 170 degrees. After the 45 minute steeping, raise the grain bag a couple inches above the steeping water and let it drip, but don't squeeze the bag. Place a strainer (I like this one)strainer on top of the kettle and put the grain bag on the strain. Slowly pour 1 quart of water per two pounds of grain (for you that would be 44 ounces) of 170 degree water over the grain bag (which is on top of the strainer which is draining into the kettle...right?). Allow 5-10 minutes for the water to drain out of the grain bag, but don't squeeze the bag.

Place the kettle back onto the heat and begin your boil :mug:

Eric

P.S. Don't be afraid to call Austin Homebrew Supply, they are good guys and will be happy to help.

Back