AHS Barley Wine Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
I want to get a barley wine going now for next winter. Anybody tried the AHs kits or have a personal recipe they like?

Apologies for not knowing if you're an extract brewer or not, but if you are, you're probably going to want to swap out some extract (a pound or two) for corn sugar, to keep your barleywine from being cloyingly sweet, since extract doesn't ferment out as much as you'll probably want it to for such a huge beer. Check out the Jamil show on barleywines for tips and recipes (English or American styles), whether you're doing AG or extract. Jamil's Book, Brewing Classic Styles is also a great resource.

Otherwise, I've not hear anything but good things about AHS kits, and I recommend them myself.

I use belgian candi and lyles golden syrup in my Trois Pistoles. Its a dark belgian, but tastes very barleywine-ish with fig/raisin/cherry notes. Most important part is just aging the stuff for 6+ months and let the alcohol flavor settle down into fruit character. You could use honey as well. Just make sure you make yourself an extra large starter for a beer that size. If that ferments out you'll hit close to 11% ABV.

Back