AHS American IPA high final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Utmustang

Reaction score
I am brewing the AHS American IPA I liquid extract kit. The recipe says the final gravity is supposed to be 1.012. I am at 1.020 now, and the beer has been in the primary for 3 weeks. The original gravity was dead on the recipe at 1.060. Is it safe to keg the beer now or should I wait?

Do you have a secondary? I like to transfer and let it sit.. You could rouse the yeast by stirring very gently and put it in a warm corner in case they went dormant because of a drop in temperature. IPAs were higher in gravity originally because the rocking of the boats on the way india kept the yeast in suspension longer so rousing it a little bit is a sound theory and has done well for me in the past.

i cant speak to you gravity issue, but i just tapped a keg of this and it's fantastic. i left mine in the primary for close to 5 weeks and dry hopped in the keg with 1oz cascade. good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to bring it up from the basement to raise the temperature, give it a gentle stir, and then let it sit for another week.

Back