AHS 20th Anniversary Blonde Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody brewed this?

I'm looking for a summer beer for my Miller Lite drinking friends. Per Beersmith, it's just over 30 IBU which may be a bit high for these folks.

I tried searching but searches with 3-letter words (like "rye") aren't very helpful.

I've already ordered it and will be brewing it, but I might drop the bittering hops a little.

L

Do you have the recipe for this? I can't find the actual recipe listed on their site. But, just by going on numbers, this doesn't look like it's too bitter at all. If your friends can stomach a SNPA they should be able to enjoy this. Plus Hallertauer isn't as in your face as some American hops. Rye should give it a nice, crisp and refreshing bite too. Even though I don't know the actual recipe, it looks like this should be a general crowd pleaser. I love rye beers and would serve it to my friends in a heartbeat. Plus, if they font like it, there's more for you to drink :D

I don't have the recipe immediately available but as I recall it's something like:

9 lb 2-row
1 lb rye

Mash low

.75 oz Magnum at 60
1 oz hallertauer at 15

one of the British Ale yeasts

To me, 30 IBU is great for an easy drinking beer. Some people like less, you know, taste in their beers. I think I'll make it according to the recipe and adjust from there. It just goes against the grain a little. The only beer I've brewed from a kit was my very first beer, and it was awful. Since then, I've used BeerSmith and tinkered with pretty much everything I've brewed.

L

If you're using British Ale yeast, I'm sure it will have a slight to moderate fruit character to it as well. That, plus the rye, and I'm sure you'll have a winner with your friends. Sessionable ryes are meant to be summer beers to be enjoyed by almost anyone. Plus it's not an insane hop schedule either. I'm sure it will be great, but maybe someone who's made this recipe can chime in with some more info.

Back