ahhhh man! upright freezer issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jett78

Reaction score
Alright, I just bought a used upright freezer for fermenting (temp control in the mail), and hopefully as a kergerator when I feel like spending the $$...

BUT, when I checked out the freezer, it was nice and cold inside, needs some cleaning on the outside, got it for $50. Figured I'd take out the shelves to my liking when I got home, nope! I didn't realize that the shelves had tubes going through it that makes it cold. Is there a way to still use this thing? I'm not sure how this thing works, can I remove a shelf still? Could I remove the coils from the shelves first, and carefully bend them away?

see pix...

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

You can try to bend, but if you kink or break the lines you'll be spending $10-15 to get rid of it at the dump. I used one for a time because it was free, but those with lines in the shelves really aren't the ideal units for kegerators or fermentation chambers. Wish I had better news...but I've been there, and I feel your pain. :mug:

I had one of these and faced the same problem. I carefully bent the bottom shelf up to provide enough room for a 6.5 gallon carboy. I used it as a lagering/fermentation chamber. The current upright I have (it was free) I use mostly for cold storage of bottled beers. I don't think you can or want to try to separate the tubing from the shelves. Another possibility would be to build out the front enough to allow room for a fermenter or two. I haven't tried this yet, but I have given it some thought recently.

if it does break, can it be welded?

Nope, once the coolant is released from the lines, it won't be able to ever cool again. Some are serviceable, but most aren't, and it would likely be cheaper to get a new freezer from Craigslist than fix one that has a busted coolant line.

I tried the same ... I would not recommend it. At least with the one I had, the changes of getting it together like Bobby were VERY slim

I think my upright was from the 70's and I was sure I was going to overstress one of the lines. It didn't kink or break at all. The difference was that I only paid $20 for mine and I really didn't care if I had to drop it off at the dump.

from the looks in the first picture I would say those lines are not in great shape they will most likely crimp or break. The lines can be replaced or repaired and even if the system has no fitting to fill with freon its easy to install one. All they use are taps that you clamp onto the pipe like you would for a water pipe.

from the looks in the first picture I would say those lines are not in great shape they will most likely crimp or break. The lines can be replaced or repaired and even if the system has no fitting to fill with freon its easy to install one. All they use are taps that you clamp onto the pipe like you would for a water pipe.

the places where it's "sweated" together show a bit of rust, but where I hoping to bend, it looks pretty good. But I'm thinking of throwing it on CL and just buying a kegerator.

I got a similar freezer for free and tried to bend a shelf--result was a big non-functioning box. However, it is really well-insulated, so being cheap I turned it into a poor man's fermentation chamber using plans adapted from this site: http://www.blackcanyonbrewers.com/BCHA-PDF-Files/chiller.pdf. I made two separate chambers by covering the top shelf with styrofoam and wiring up a computer fan to a household thermostat to blow cold air from the upper chamber to the lower one where the beer ferments. I use milk jugs with ice to provide the cool air. So far, I have no trouble bringing the temp down to 60-65. I haven't needed to go lower yet.

Just an idea in case the freezer surgery doesn't work.

Back