AHBS Silicone Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillPall

Reaction score
I recently bought some silicone tubing from Austin Homebrew and was wondering if anybody could shed some light on a couple of issues.

First, I thought silicone was supposed to be almost memory-free, but when it arrived it was curled up and I can't get it to stay strait. Would soaking it in warm water for a while fix this?

Also, the images on Austin's website show it as being almost opaque, but what arrived is completely clear like my other vinyl (or whatever it is) tubing.

I guess I could have asked/called Forrest about this, but I thought I'd ask here first to see if anybody could help me.

Sounds to me like they may have shipped the wrong tubing, is it stretchy? (pardon my science speak):D

Austin will be by soon enough. It does sound like vinyl tubing to me. silicone just kinda flops around. Also, it feels a tish sticky when handled... not quite tape sticky, but not smooth like vinyl.

I don't think it would qualify as sticky, definitely doesn't flop, and it is definitely lacking in the stretchy department. The only thing I can say for it is that it's a slight bit softer than my vinyl tubing, but not much.

And for Forrest (if he is around), my invoice does say that I ordered Silicone. Doesn't look like I made any mistakes, I hope. I'll probably be emailing AHBS soon.

Thanks for the replies by the way.

Yeah, what they said^^ It should have zero memory, should be stretchy and shouldn't smell like anything really.

Haha, that's an awesome way to test plastics. If I didn't think I'd have to send this tubing back or something, I'd definitely be doing some burning. Wait... if I do a small piece, they may never know... :D

Back