AHBS Econo Brew Pot Failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Nice Guy

Reaction score
In case you are in the market for a stainless stock pot I thought I'd post this since I bought one and it didn't work out.

The pot is the 28 quart economy stock pot sold by Austin Homebrew supply. I bought it as an "upgrade" to my AHBS brew kit at the start of this year.

The handles aren't meant to support the weight of even 5 gallons in the 7 gallon pot. One of my handles was cracked and fell off when I picked up a hot pot of near boiling wort to cool it. I was lucky enough to save my beer and not get burnt but dealing with stuff like this is no fun.

This is really dangerous as well as a waste of money to buy the econo pot. I should have saved up for something better but I thought with proper care ss would last a lifetime.

I'm not trying to badmouth AHBS, they do a great job and I will continue to buy from them. I just don't want to see anyone wasting their money on junk.

More likely, you got a defective pot. The main problem with cheaper equipment: there's no margin for poor workmanship or flawed materials.

Yeah, for now I just hold the rim of the pot with a potholder which I'm sure will eventually lead to infection. Time for a keggle or something...

Why not take up your issue with the vendor, and get the problem resolved, rather than complaining about it? Complaining doesn't solve anything. :confused:
I'm not trying to concentrate on complaining, the other 85 things I have bought from AHBS are awesome, I just thought I'd warn people who might buy this pot.

AHBS is one of the places a lot of people buy their first beer making supply kits from and this is the default pot you can add on to the package.

I have talked to AHBS about the problem, the pot had a 1 month return policy. It cracked after a couple of months so I'm out of luck there. I was told I could get a replacement for 1/2 price but I don't wan't another one like that for obvious reasons.

It is no big deal, it was an inexpensive pot and AHBS was cool about it. I just posted this because I'm trying to share information (good and bad) about brewing.

Having been in their store, I was actually warned against buying those by the AHS guy. Apparently, having them fail is not unheard-of, although he said they usually leak through the rivet holes for the handles, rather than shedding the handles completely.

Having been in their store, I was actually warned against buying those by the AHS guy. Apparently, having them fail is not unheard-of, although he said they usually leak through the rivet holes for the handles, rather than shedding the handles completely.

LOL...
Wow, I wish I had known.

Why not take up your issue with the vendor, and get the problem resolved, rather than complaining about it? Complaining doesn't solve anything. :confused:

I see this as more of a off site equipment review than complaining. He's not badmouthing the company about customer service etc.

I have the 8g size econo pot from AHS. I've done 5 AG batches with it with no issues. However, when I am carrying my 6g of boiling wort to the sink for chilling, I can definitely feel the handles being stressed. Not really complaining here. I too have had nothing but good experiences with AHS.

Seems to me there is a reason why they specify ECONO pot in the name.. cheap equipment does not usually equal good equipment.

Thanks for the heads up, I was looking at this for an upgrade but I guess Ill save up and get the good stuff.

Back