AHBS' Double Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered this kit?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=310

Just wondering what you all thought of it?

The website states:
"Similar in style to Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Smooth, rich and creamy."

A couple of friends and I had some of the Young's DCS recently and we rated it very high. I have more or less captured both of their attentions with my brewing and after doing three batches, I told them to chose my next batch. They both want me to do a DC Stout. Figured it was the least I could do since they are both helping me bottle/brew. :mug: :tank:

Anyway, what does AHBS do to increase the alcohol by 1%? It is an added $1.99 option. Sounds like a plan to me. Is it just added Malt Extract?

Also, do these kits come with a bag for steeping the grain? If I am reading correctly they do, looks like the mini-mash or all grain options require additional bags...

Thanks

I have not brewed the chocolate stout, but I have brewed several AHBS kits. The grains come in a ready to steep bag with the basic extract kits.

AHBS's clones have always been right on the money to me so good choice in that one but I don't know about the bags.

apparatus said:
I have not brewed the chocolate stout, but I have brewed several AHBS kits. The grains come in a ready to steep bag with the basic extract kits.

thanks apparatus, i thought i was reading it correctly...

G. Cretin said:
AHBS's clones have always been right on the money to me so good choice in that one but I don't know about the bags.

that's good to hear. i assumed with the good rep AHBS seems to have, that the clones would be pretty tasty...:mug:

Yeah. sorry about that I know I'm not supposed to endorse anyone to heavily here but those guys have been super cool to me when shopping or if I had a question. one cat there gave me a card wrote his name on it and said to call if I ever had any questions. That there boys and girls is F-in' service.

Good Q. DME would be one way but I have seen it done W/ Candisugar or corn sugar and even once corn syrup.

G. Cretin said:
Good Q. DME would be one way but I have seen it done W/ Candisugar or corn sugar and even once corn syrup.

since it seems to be an offering on all their kits, i am wondering if it's just not an added package of corn sugar...

G. Cretin said:
I think it would be DME. those cats seem to care about their rep.

maybe you're correct.

i am gonna be ordering one of those kits in the near future, so i guess i will find out for sure... :mug:

the added extra fermentables shouldn't cause me any problems with too much krausen in 6.5 gallon bucket, should it?

My recent brew leads me to say when in doubt use a blow off tube. I have a 6.5 g carboy and the krausen almost hit the air lock in 5-6 hrs.

G. Cretin said:
My recent brew leads me to say when in doubt use a blow off tube. I have a 6.5 g carboy and the krausen almost hit the air lock in 5-6 hrs.

what kind of OG are you getting with your most recent brews and what is your expected ABV?

If I ordered the extra fermentables in this kit, the expected ABV would be 6% and the expected OG would be around 1.057...

Which leads me to this question, is the amount of krausen in direct correlation with OG, or does it just depend on the particular brew?

i ferment in a plastic bucket, so i have not opened it up much to look at the amount of krausen...

Man we need a 10+ yr guy for that question about Krausen. My last OG was .048 pretty lame it was supposed to be around 50 my eff. is crap

The amount of krausen depends on the yeast, the size of the starter, the gravity and the mix of grains. Adding wheat or another grain that improves head retention will give you a larger krausen.

BrewProject said:
i think you must be correct. thanks for the link. :mug:

No problem. Don't know much more than that I connected the product to the additive for the recipe kits.

When you brewing next? I got a few weeks until the next brewday, but we should schedule one soon.

Fatabbot said:
No problem. Don't know much more than that I connected the product to the additive for the recipe kits.

When you brewing next? I got a few weeks until the next brewday, but we should schedule one soon.

sounds fun man. i was planning to brew this Double Chocolate Stout on Aug 26.

Think i got a friend or two interested in helping me too... gonna bottle up two batches that day also...

what about you, when is your next brew day?

we do need to get together in the near future...

BrewProject said:
sounds fun man. i was planning to brew this Double Chocolate Stout on Aug 26.

Think i got a friend or two interested in helping me too... gonna bottle up two batches that day also...

what about you, when is your next brew day?

we do need to get together in the near future...

I hope to brew in a couple weeks, but realistically I'm probably looking at September sometime.

I'll be leaving for Vegas early on the 27th and get back on the 30th. Also, if you want to try brewing on a turkey fryer before buying one, feel free. I'll provide the driveway, turkey fryer, propane and the BMC beer water to drink during the brewing :) Just bring some ice for the ice bath.

Also, if you don't mind making a starter or using a couple packets of nottingham dried yeast, you should brew AHS's Cannonball Stout. Now that's a beer.....

My brewing buddy made that one a couple of months ago.

Fatabbot said:
I hope to brew in a couple weeks, but realistically I'm probably looking at September sometime.

I'll be leaving for Vegas early on the 27th and get back on the 30th. Also, if you want to try brewing on a turkey fryer before buying one, feel free. I'll provide the driveway, turkey fryer, propane and the BMC beer water to drink during the brewing :) Just bring some ice for the ice bath.

well thanks a bunch, that's an incredibly kind offer from you.

i will probably take you up on that when we aren't facing 100+ degree temps...

i can handle the ice and by the time i brew at your place i can bring some homebrew to consume also...

one question, how would i transport my bucket home without sloshing it around? :confused:

if i decide to brew on the 26th, i will let you know and you can come over and hang, give me and my friends tips, and drink some home brew that will be ready. that is if we can get started early enough not to interfere with your Vegas trip. Last brew we didn't finish up til almost midnight... :eek:

Fatabbot said:
Also, if you don't mind making a starter or using a couple packets of nottingham dried yeast, you should brew AHS's Cannonball Stout. Now that's a beer.....

My brewing buddy made that one a couple of months ago.

a starter is beyond my knowledge at the moment, but i am learning and reading this site and my joy of homebrewing book...

but i will remember you recommended the Cannonball Stout and do it in the future. :mug:

BrewProject said:
well thanks a bunch, that's an incredibly kind offer from you.

i will probably take you up on that when we aren't facing 100+ degree temps...

i can handle the ice and by the time i brew at your place i can bring some homebrew to consume also...

one question, how would i transport my bucket home without sloshing it around? :confused:

if i decide to brew on the 26th, i will let you know and you can come over and hang, give me and my friends tips, and drink some home brew that will be ready. that is if we can get started early enough not to interfere with your Vegas trip. Last brew we didn't finish up til almost midnight... :eek:

To be honest with you, my buddy and I brew in my driveway and don't ever feel that hot. We get a good breeze and shade sitting on lawn chairs in the garage :)

Sloshing at that point would actually help aerate the wort. I brew over at my friend's house sometimes and bring the bucket back with me. You really don't need to worry about the sloshing or oxidation at that point, more oxygen is good for ya :)

Let me know about the 26th. Not that I can give y'all many pointers, I'm still a newbie myself. Granted, I've studied up on homebrewing for countless hours, just haven't had much of a chance to put it into practice. I've only got 7 batches under my belt.

Fatabbot said:
To be honest with you, my buddy and I brew in my driveway and don't ever feel that hot. We get a good breeze and shade sitting on lawn chairs in the garage :)

Sloshing at that point would actually help aerate the wort. I brew over at my friend's house sometimes and bring the bucket back with me. You really don't need to worry about the sloshing or oxidation at that point, more oxygen is good for ya :)

Let me know about the 26th. Not that I can give y'all many pointers, I'm still a newbie myself. Granted, I've studied up on homebrewing for countless hours, just haven't had much of a chance to put it into practice. I've only got 7 batches under my belt.

well cool, i will let you know if i am gonna brew that day.

i am definately bottling two batches that day...

brewing, breeze, lawn chairs, shade and some brews sound good... :mug:

apparatus said:

The grains from the kits that i have gotten are always in a plastic bag.

Drunk Monkey said:
nope.
from thier site: Mini-Mash requires additional steeping time and requires a grain bag (not included).

also from their site:

"Milled specialty grains in a muslin bag for extract kits"

so i guess guess i am confused....

there is an extract option when ordering and a mini-mash option, but it looks like the basic extract kit comes with "specialty grains in a muslin bag".

to me that sounds like grains to be steeped. and an option to the kit is also some other grains to be used in a mini-mash...

so DrunkMonkey, which option did you selecting when ordering...?

this is from apparatus on page 1 of this thread:
apparatus said:

can anyone else comment since i am getting conflicting opinions?

If you order the extract kit (and the recipe requires specialty steeping grains), they will ship the grains in the ready-to-steep bag. In fact, the product description says so.

Milled specialty grains in a muslin bag for extract kits., priming sugar, detailed instructions, and optional yeast. Makes 5 US gallons.

The mini-mash ones specifically say they DO NOT come with the bags. The extract kits DO.

Not sure what drunkmonkey is talking about. :drunk: I guess he does the mini-mashes.

Drunk Monkey said:
yeah, i just do the mini mashes. their mini mashes use extract and specialty grains.

Well, he's looking at the extract kit, which includes extract and specialty steeping grains that come shipped in the grain bag. He's not doing the mini-mash, so that's irrelevant.

Let us know how it turns out... and how well it is a clone or if it's just a really good beer. Thanks!

i ordered the Double Chocolate Stout today and also got the BrewVint Yeast Fuel...

What is that gonna do for me?

BrewProject said:
i ordered the Double Chocolate Stout today and also got the BrewVint Yeast Fuel...

What is that gonna do for me?
It's gonna rock yer Ass very aggresive ferment. Let us know what you think of it.

G. Cretin said:
It's gonna rock yer Ass very aggresive ferment. Let us know what you think of it.

i wanna RAWK aggressive Ferment... that's why i ordered it with the kit, just don't know the procedure for it...

but we are gonna find out :mug: :ban: :rockin:

Back