AHB Whiskey Barrel Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassassassin772

Reaction score
So I have my beer sitting in the bucket. It will be in there for another week before I put it in my secondary. Question for the folks who have brewed this beer. The instructions say to put the bottle of Whiskey in right before I bottle. My question is would it change the flavoring or make it better if I pour the
whiskey in when I rack to secondary or should i just follow the instructions

I'm not sure it would make that much of a difference, except that you'll be raising the alcohol content of the beer in your secondary fermenter. This might pose an issue for the yeasts as raising the alcohol content above 5% is actually toxic to yeast. Yeast does a lot of work after the primary fermentation by cleaning up and converting fuesel alcohols, diacetyl and aldehyde flavors in the secondary fermentation, so it's probably a better idea to just wait and follow the instructions.

If raising it above 5% at bottling time when I add the Whiskey will I have issues carbonating in the bottle? or by adding the bottling sugar negate that

So I bottled on 3/1 it's been sitting at 70 degrees. Excitement/curiosity got the best of me and I cracked one open tonight. God it's the best beer I have ever drank lol. It's got a hell of a whiskey taste when it hits the mouth but as you swallow it mellows out to a great porter flavoring. It's by far the best beer I've Made and am super excited to see how it changes the longer it's been conditioned.

Have you calculated your final ABV %?

I can imagine with the whiskey fortifying it, most likely it will age quite well :)

yes it is roughly 6.9%. When i put in the whiskey everyone thought that 350ml was way to much and would overpower the flavor of the beer. With the Porter it didn't blow away the beer taste so i'm super excited about it

Back