AHA Membership. Why/Why Not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This. I wish they had a discounted option for Non-Americans to purchase Zymergy magazine.

There is no way around the cost of mailing a magazine around the world. If its low cost you want, the electronic only membership gives you access to all the old issues and the current issues. I like holding a Mag in my hands, but the online presentation isn't bad.

I give to the AHA mainly just because it's the right thing to do. They've done SO much to help out homebrewers over the past 40 years, it cannot be measured. They promoted the hobby for like ever, and were instrumental in getting the craft beer industry where it is today with so much selection and high quality. They lobbied in many U.S. states within the last 10-15 years to legalize homebrewing in every state and to allow homebrew to be served in public places without harrassment from police or naysayers (YES this happened MANY times all over the USA (including here in Wisconsin)). Without their aid and support over so many years we might very likely still be living in the dark ages of homebrewing in the '80s and '90s, and with nothing on the commercial shelves besides like Becks and Heineken as anything fancier than BudMilloors -- anybody else still remember those days!?

I love Zymurgy magazine. But even without that or the discounts, I'd still consider giving to the AHA anyway because they kick so much butt behind the scenes. Any beer lover who thinks otherwise is sorely mistaken and should really look into all they've done and continue to do today.

Note: I am not an officer in the AHA or affiliated in any way. These expressions are truly my own and I give them freely and without reservation. I just know what they do and love them for it.

Last edited:
As Dave said, without AHA, homebrewers have very little voice. Together, the members of AHA actually have a voice and its worked to change laws and improve the hobby. I appreciate being a AHA member and having those members as friends. It's still worth it.

As Dave said, without AHA, homebrewers have very little voice. Together, the members of AHA actually have a voice and its worked to change laws and improve the hobby. I appreciate being a AHA member and having those members as friends. It's still worth it.

Plus they often have solid articles and seminars by industry rock stars...like that Martin Brungard guy! :rock:

... discounted option for Non-Americans to purchase Zymergy magazine. ... Nine dollars (U.S.) a copy for the magazine -- it better be increadible.

If you are thinking about going down the digital subscription route, see if you can find a free 30 day trial (maybe here https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/free-trial/ ?).

I find that the magazine reads well (as a magazine) on an iPad - so I'm a very happy digital subscriber. Be aware that the web browser interface for the magazine is unique - after working with the web browser interface (with a very open mind) for a few minutes, I found that it was usable for reading articles.

Back