AHA Big Brew Day 2012 plans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
This is a thread to talk about and celebrate the AHA Big Brew Day on May 5th. If you have some info on you or your club doing something, feel free to post it up here. I wanted to see how many others try and brew this day as well. I was also interested in how many people will be brewing one of the posted recipes.

Our homebrew club is going to brew at the LHBS. I plan to be doing an all grain "Buck Snort Brown" and a friend and fellow club member will be brewing up an extract version of the same, per the posted AHA recipe. (We plan to do some side by sides, in the future at a club meeting.) I may also wear some blaze orange since I will be brewing up the Buck Snort Brown!

To celebrate correctly, we are going to plan the noon toast to be none other than a "Hot Scotchy" from said Buck Snort Wort. (That is fun to say!)

I also believe we will have some press coverage. :D

I will update this thread with pics and news as it is needed.

So what are your plans???

My club will be doing a brew-in/meeting at my house. The plan is to brew a large batch of something (probably not a brown) to showcase at NCHF (northern california homebrew festival). We did a barleywine last year so probably something different this year, we haven't decided yet. I'll also be brewing on my system as a demonstration to those in the club that haven't experienced the joys of electric brewing.

Hot Scotchy sounds awesome, I'll add that to the "agenda" :)

My biggest issue is not how much beer I can make away from home but rather how much I want to transport back home. I may be brewing up another batch as well and I am thinking 2-6.5 gallon batches will be plenty for me but I may also do a no-boil 3 gallon wine or meade.

The thought had not occurred to me to brew something for a competition but that is a GREAT idea! :mug:

Mashing Bucksnort right now. I figured why brew it on May 5th when I could drink it on May 5th?

I am going to try getting in my first brew since last June. Might finally fire up my little electric system while I'm at it for it's first brew. I had a Hot Scotchy last a few brew days ago but with Makers. I finally have Scotch on hand. I guess I'll have to give it another go round'. Trying to get a buddy to come down and brew with me and see if any other locals would like to meet up as well.

I brewed the Bucksnort AG. A fellow home brew club member brewed the extract version AND a euro style dopplebock ale, also extract. We also had a different fellow club member brew up his version of Janet's Brown ale.

We had a mixed wort hot scotchy for the noon toast, done as the noon sirens wailed.

This is gonna make for a BAD club meeting in 2 months... ;)

My LHBS gave us the grains and yeast for our brews as well as some smacked dated packs of yeast (They expanded and I know how to make a starter...) Bought all the brewers lunch from the local brew pub.

The brewer from said brew pub came down and I may have a job opportunity working in the new tap room. (The horror.)

We gained 3 new club members and got 2 different people talked into buying starter kits in the LHBS.

The worst part... I am now buzzed and sunburned. What a crappy day. :D

I also got sunburned celebrating big brew yesterday. We had around 15 people brewing at the LHBS. It was a real good time.

Noone brewed the aha recipes though. I just wasn't up for brewing a brown ale. I did the zombie dust clone from the thread floating around here.

I used to camp in Zion Canyon with my family every summer back when I was young. I'll have to get back there someday soon to try some beers at the brewery.

Big Brew Day for the Bay de Noc Brewers was a VERY nice day. I hosted, and the day went well. Gorgeous, sunny day! (thank goodness!) Josh brewed a barley wine, and I brewed an Amarillo Ale. The barley wine will be transfered to a barrel in a month or so.

We had a nice turn out of about 20 people or so. Actually, we had people show up from all over the place! We are in Delta County, Michigan; but we had people from Marquette, Munising, Iron River, even Grand Rapids (my daughter). We also had a person from Madison, WI; ok, it was my sister. But we had people show up from all over. It was a very good day.

We, too, are nursing sunburns. :D

I likewise attended a group brew with my club at the LHBS. Turnout was about 50, with about 20 of those being brewers and 30 or so being friends or even people that just dropped by to see what was going on. We had a bluegrass band and mexican food potluck in honor of Cinco de Mayo.

One local brewery also supplied two kegs of free beer, a Bavarian Hefeweizen, and a Pecan Porter.

I brewed my house beer, an all Citra APA.

Fun was had by all!

I attended the big brew day at the MaltyDog Brewery in Southfield Mi. This years big brew day drew less brewers but had 5x the amount of non brewers that came to just hang out in the sun with us. It was a good day. Sunny and in the low 70's.

Back