Agressive Fermentation, Large chunks CRAZY.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikolausXX

Reaction score
I have made a couple extracts, and 4 all grains or so. I just made an all grain Haus pale ale, with whole hops, and about 1oz more cascades than recipe. I also used a starter for the first time. I have large chunks of yeast, and in some cases yeast caked hops floating around in my Carboy. There are some leaf hops resting on top of the large amount of foam. There are a lot of c02 bubbles raising up like mad also. My carboy looks like a lava lamp. Is this normal? The beer looks really good, other than all the crap floating around like mad! Ive never seen anything like this before. Very similar to this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrcMn6gDPHU]YouTube - Belgian Pale Ale Fermentation[/ame]

Exept mine is more pale ale looking, and I have some yeast stuck to side of carboy, but all the action has been knocking it down over the day.

Thats not my vid, but mine looks just like that but more pale orange/yellow, but I have yeast stuck to side. I used an imersion chiller, and it took about 10 minutes. Stiring vigoursly with a long mash paddle with holes the kind you get from home brew store for 5 bucks. I put in moss at 15, cooled, wirlpooled with strainer and pitched my first ever starter of 2nd gen safeale04 .25 gallon.

the somewhat snowflake like clumps are just coagulated proteins (cold break) they will settle out nicely when fermentation is done. right now co2 bubbles are attaching to them and making them float around like crazy (you can see the same effect by dropping raisins in seltzer). some of the whole hops may remain floating after fermentation is done but if you rack carefully you can usually avoid sucking up or clogging the siphon with hops.

Makes sense, if its cold break. I was having issues with the auto syphon getting clogged with hops. I actually thought I broke it at one point. I still got alot of wort, but alot was left behind to auto syphon unable to suck through the massive amounts of leaf hops. I can believe it sucked leaf hops through it. This is my second leaf hop brew, and some made it in for sure. So cold break prob did too. But its going nuts still, its been about 30 hours since pitch, and still going nuts.

Relax...... It's OK. The yeast are having a party and are flocking. This is normal.

Im relaxed. Its like a pay per view, any free time I get, I sit and watch it do its dance, its addictive. If I had it on my TV I would turn it to that channel. Still cant believe hop leaves went through the auto syphon. I really need to valve my kettle.

Did you whirlpool at all, I still get some cold break after, but most of the hops are left behind. A hop bag or putting your hops in cheesecloth will keep them out of your fermenter as well.

My latest beer was very turbulent and the two things that are different are I used a reasonable proportion of grain and I also used a starter. I think the grain adds extra nutrients for the yeast to party on and the starter is like gatecrashing the party! Mine has settled down now in it's 3rd day but it went beserk for the first 2 days.

yeah i just had a good one too, hehe! i've been fermenting in my bedroom in the closet. the swmbo has been loving the smell at night or when you walk in the house. i just tell her to relax it will go away.
:D

Back