Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
So, still new to meads as a whole. I have a mead in a carboy now that I made back in December. It's looking pretty clear, and I'm now debating what to do. I don't have a corker, but I do have lots of beer bottles, so I'm thinking to just use the beer bottles for the mead. My question is, would there be any negative to bottling in beer bottles, and let it age more?

I'm trying to free up a fermentor to get another beer started is why I'm asking. Or is there some reason I should leave it in a carboy to age a bit longer?

Thanks!

Some people like to bulk age because it will keep the bottles consistant and/or allow them to tweek the flavor of the aged mead. If your mead is done fermenting and clear, you can go ahead and bottle. Beer bottles are alright.

I use beer bottles. 12 oz. It is just the right amount. I cap it. A caper is cheap and the caps are bought by the pound. So less expense, job done.

Back