Aging Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrew

Reaction score
How much does the flavor change from the time you bottle it until the time that aging is complete? I just took a sneak peek and tasted a bottle after only 3 days of aging in the bottle and it tastes decent but not quite there yet. Will the flavor change drastically from this in like 2 weeks or am I stuck with a beer that tastes just ok?

depends on the beer. high gravity beers will change pretty drastically. low gravity, not quite as much.

You can be sure that the flavor will mature. most likely for the better. sharp flavors will mellow.

Well I tasted it and it almost has an apple juice flavor. Not what it is supposed to be. It is a blonde ale. I'm thinking something might have gone wrong but I hope it will mellow out. Guess I will just have to wait to find out.

My stouts get better every week that passes.

Of course not many weeks pass since they're so delicious even at 3 weeks, \m/

green ("young") beer can have an applish flavor to it. check it again in a week, then another week and another week and you'll see the progress.

We homebrewers have a saying that the best beer in your batch will be the last one you drink :mug:

thanks a lot for the confidence. i thought i had a botched batch. hopefully it works out. makes me feel better

Sounds like it could be acetaldehyde which is produced during fermentation. It is very common in a young beer. It is more evident in the aroma and flavor when either cane or corn sugars are used. Normally the acetaldehyde will dissipate over time as the sugar is further fermented.

Hope it all turns out good! 3 weeks in the fermentor, 3 weeks in the bottle is a common routine for some brewers, it is the formula I tend to use but this is my opinion!!

RDWHAHB, but not the blonde ale, wait a few weeks. I just wait untill you brew an imperial stout, and you have to watch a fermentor sit for 6 months while it ages to perfection! Oh how I cant wait! It is seriously on its way to a great tasting Russian Imperial Stout.

Thats exciting! I am planning on brewing a dry stout sometime soon but can't seem to find an extract recipe that I like.

Latest posts

Back