Aging on fruit in tertiary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhelderman

Reaction score
I've got 5 gallons of cider currently in secondary. It fermented with Belle Saison yeast for 3 weeks in primary and went from about 1.056 to 0.996 pretty quickly. After primary I racked to a 5 gallon carboy and topped with more cider to eliminate headspace.

My questions are:

1. Is there any negative to aging on fruit in a tertiary container?

2. How do I calculate ABV if I'm adding fruit and/or purée in secondary and tertiary?

My plan was to break the 5 gallon container down into 2 batches of 2 gallons and also into another 1 gallon batch. I'll come up with different fruit mixes/combinations that I'll rack onto.

I realize that I'll restart fermentation by racking onto fruit/fruit purée. Just not sure how this affects the overall product if done in tertiary...

People rack onto fruit all the time. The added sugar and change in SG is hard to measure so it has to be calculated. There will be more lees and of course spent fruit so you'll be racking again to get off that. How long to leave it on the fruit is a judgement call on your part.

People rack onto fruit all the time. The added sugar and change in SG is hard to measure so it has to be calculated. There will be more lees and of course spent fruit so you'll be racking again to get off that. How long to leave it on the fruit is a judgement call on your part.

Yeah; I've aged ciders on fruit before, but always in either primary or secondary. I guess my question was as to whether there was any implication from doing the aging after multiple rackings. It doesn't seem there should be, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back