Aging in corked bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
I put most of my mead in 1.5 litre wine bottles (and the rest in regular capped bottles). Should I store the corked bottles on their side and not worry about the minimal amount of sediment that will get resuspended when it is served? Will storing them standing up for about a year cause the corks to dry out?

Thanks

- magno

magno said:
I put most of my mead in 1.5 litre wine bottles (and the rest in regular capped bottles). Should I store the corked bottles on their side and not worry about the minimal amount of sediment that will get resuspended when it is served? Will storing them standing up for about a year cause the corks to dry out?

Thanks

- magno

You want to do SOMETHING to keep the corks from getting dry. You can either store the bottles on their sides, or store them upright in a realtively humid climate (wine fridge or cellar).

If you don't have the necessary humid climate to store them upright, my suggestion is to store them on their sides to keep the corks wetted. A few days before opening a bottle, stand the bottle up-right and give it a twist to dislodge the yeast that might be stuck to the side of the bottle.

Then, just allow enough time to pass for the yeast to settle to the bottom of the bottle before opening/serving.

-walker

Walker-san said:
If you don't have the necessary humid climate to store them upright, my suggestion is to store them on their sides to keep the corks wetted. A few days before opening a bottle, stand the bottle up-right and give it a twist to dislodge the yeast that might be stuck to the side of the bottle.

Great advice. Thanks.

- magno

About a week after I bottled my mead, (and I swear it was clear when I did) I had laid them on their sides from the start, and when I drew them out for labeling, I noticed each of them had a strip of sediment sticking to the side. Well, I was upset about this, so I stuck the bottles in the refridgerator right side up to get any and all sediment to sink to the bottom with the intention of re-bottling (minus this sediment).

Is this a good idea, or does this sediment matter? I am sure I never saw any sediment go into the bottles when I bottled it, and the liquid itself is still very clear...

The sediment shouldnt hurt anything, other than apearance.

If you aged it long enough in secondary, the yeast should have fermented all the availble sugar, so carbonation/ bottle bombs shouldnt be a issue.

I wouldnt bother rebottling.

- magno

Back