Aging in a keg room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mknox4354

Reaction score
Ok so I I researched this ahead of time before asking so don't freak out if this has been addressed. Here's my situation. I have 4 kegs and only 2 will fit in my kegerator. I would like to be able to have 2 beers in the kegerator and two aging at room temp. My question is can I just give the two that are at room temp a couple shots of co2 and then let them sit. I've seen some people say that the beer absorbs the co2 and you lose your pressure. I only have one co2 tank so I can't really carb them up before letting them sit. I guess I just need some input on what is best. Thanks

Ok so I I researched this ahead of time before asking so don't freak out if this has been addressed. Here's my situation. I have 4 kegs and only 2 will fit in my kegerator. I would like to be able to have 2 beers in the kegerator and two aging at room temp. My question is can I just give the two that are at room temp a couple shots of co2 and then let them sit. I've seen some people say that the beer absorbs the co2 and you lose your pressure. I only have one co2 tank so I can't really carb them up before letting them sit. I guess I just need some input on what is best. Thanks

Sure you can do that. The beer may absorb some (or all) of the co2 in the headspace, but it's not a big deal.

You can also prime the kegs like you would for bottling- using half the amount of sugar you would for bottling. Then, when you have a spot in the kegerator, the beer would already be carbonated.

I do this all the time but if I know they will sit for more 3 or more weeks I will prime with corn sugar just like I would with bottles (except use less sugar)

Ok cool just wanted some reassurance. Would I have alot of yeast that will drop out when I refrigerate it? I guess I would stop cold crashing if I did it this way right?

Ok cool just wanted some reassurance. Would I have alot of yeast that will drop out when I refrigerate it? I guess I would stop cold crashing if I did it this way right?

Right! Although cold crashing is nice so that you have less sediment making it into the keg in the first place.

Yooper said:
Right! Although cold crashing is nice so that you have less sediment making it into the keg in the first place.

Ok thanks alot. I was going crazy trying to find a clear answer to my question

Just be careful....I tried this and put in too much corn sugar and have a champaign like belgian blonde......i typically just hit it with 30 PSI and carbonate when needed

Back