Aging in a corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I just racked my first beer into my first corny, (new o-rings and poppets). It will be aging in my closet @ 66F for a few weeks. I hit it with 30 psi of co2 to seal it up, then I soap tested the outside and everything looked good. Now because im paranoind, I attached an old air compressor guage to monitor the pressure, it is slowly dropping. I believe this is just the co2 slowly dissolving into the beer? If so, does it eventually level off and stay sealed, or do I need to keep adding co2?

wildwest450 said:
I believe this is just the co2 slowly dissolving into the beer?

If so, does it eventually level off and stay sealed,

or do I need to keep adding co2?

At 30 PSI yes the beer is absorbing the co2.

Level off? Yes

Stay sealed? Maybe. I had one this passed w/e that leaked at around 3-5 PSI,
sealed at 30 PSI, then leaked again when I dropped the pressure back down.

need to keep adding? No, but you can if you want to.

You might want to consider Star-San rather than soapy water. This does 2 things keeps you posts sanitized and keeps soap residue from getting in your beer.

abracadabra said:
You might want to consider Star-San rather than soapy water. This does 2 things keeps you posts sanitized and keeps soap residue from getting in your beer.

That's a good idea! Now you have me worried about soap scum in my first beer:( Although if everything is sealed, i'll just rinse the top off, no worries.

Aint brewing fun - all these small things that you can worry yourself to death over.

It its good drink it - if one of your worries come true and it turns bad, toss it.

Nothing else to it.

Relax, dont worry, hav........
Jakob

Back