Aging in a corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wildwest450

Banned
Reaction score
I just racked my first beer into my first corny, (new o-rings and poppets). It will be aging in my closet @ 66F for a few weeks. I hit it with 30 psi of co2 to seal it up, then I soap tested the outside and everything looked good. Now because im paranoind, I attached an old air compressor guage to monitor the pressure, it is slowly dropping. I believe this is just the co2 slowly dissolving into the beer? If so, does it eventually level off and stay sealed, or do I need to keep adding co2?

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
It should reach equilibrium eventually, but it could also be 3psi or something similarly low. However, there's no reason to worry about it if the keg is sealed.

abracadabra

Reaction score
wildwest450 said:
I believe this is just the co2 slowly dissolving into the beer?

If so, does it eventually level off and stay sealed,

or do I need to keep adding co2?
At 30 PSI yes the beer is absorbing the co2.

Level off? Yes

Stay sealed? Maybe. I had one this passed w/e that leaked at around 3-5 PSI,
sealed at 30 PSI, then leaked again when I dropped the pressure back down.

need to keep adding? No, but you can if you want to.

You might want to consider Star-San rather than soapy water. This does 2 things keeps you posts sanitized and keeps soap residue from getting in your beer.

OP
W

wildwest450

Banned
Reaction score
abracadabra said:
You might want to consider Star-San rather than soapy water. This does 2 things keeps you posts sanitized and keeps soap residue from getting in your beer.
That's a good idea! Now you have me worried about soap scum in my first beer:( Although if everything is sealed, i'll just rinse the top off, no worries.

Vels

Reaction score
Aint brewing fun - all these small things that you can worry yourself to death over.

It its good drink it - if one of your worries come true and it turns bad, toss it.

Nothing else to it.

Relax, dont worry, hav........
Jakob