Aging Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmylie

Reaction score
I have a five gallon batch of spiced cyser that has finished fermenting out at 1.007. It still has a pretty good apple flavor but lacks some body. One other problem is that it is quite sour. I'm assuming this is the result of the malic acid in combination with the vitamin C that was in the apple cider. So I'm thinking of racking off the lees into another six gallon better bottle on top of some raisons to add some more body. I think that this might make the cider drier in the process though from increased alcohol? Anyways, my end goal is to have the cider undergo malolactic fermentation to ease up on the sourness. I think this is a natural process but have heard of people adding cultures to their cider to artificially start it. Is this a good idea? Or is it better to let age? Also, if I rack the cider onto some raisons and ferment that out should I rack again into empty carboy to age for malolactic ferment or will it undergo this process on its own with the raisons. Lots of questions I know but just looking for a great end product. I think I will try to age this batch until September and then cold crash and backsweeten with fresh apple juice and then keg. Thanks for any advice.

Back