Aging beer - how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesmith1611

Reaction score
Just wondering if any one cab tell me how kong after bottling/barreling when beer is at its best. I know it is probably different for types of beers but a general break down for types if beers woukd be good,
Thanks

Any ales up to mid gravity are best ime at 4-5 weeks. Big stouts,barley wines,& strong ales can take up to a year or more. With barley wines taking the longest,being the highest gravity.

Many fine brewers on here say that hoppy APAs and IPAs are better young, I disagree. I just finished a 10 gallon batch of a Cascade APA, at about 10 weeks it got noticeably better, smoother and more melded.

As a general rule of thumb the higher the gravity the longer they take to fully condition, however things like Hefe are actually better, younger, I really enjoy mine around 3-4 weeks.

It's not that the beers aren't drinkable if aged longer they just might not have reached their prime.

Taste it. If it tastes good, enjoy. If you feel like it could be better or has some off flavor, let it sit for a while longer. My small amount of experience has found that any thing I don't like in the flavor usually goes away after more aging. Had one that had a strong banana smell and flavor. After another week it disappeared and I had another of the same batch this past week and it just gets better and better. My ales are going to sit for quite a while from now on.

To me the bigger question is how long to let them age at the higher room temperature versus cold temps.

In my more recent brewing adventures this past winter,colder conditioning temps can not only slow down carbonation,but even nearly stop it. On a couple brews,warming them up had little to no effect. So keeping to that 70F aging temp is indeed important.
My capper seems to be ok,the bottles are always clean,...? So I can only assume it's the lower temp that,over time going unchecked,can ruin the carbonation. And part of the flavor/aroma profile.

Back