Aging an RIS with oak chips and/or coffee beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aging an RIS with oak chips and/or coffee beans

• Bourbon soaked oak chips

• Coffee beans

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

missigsfan

Reaction score
I'm currently about a week into primary on my small 2 gallon batch of an RIS. I have two 1 gallon fermentors, one I plan to bottle after primary is done and the other I plan to age. After a few weeks I want to add either bourbon soaked oak chips or coffee beans into the second one. I just want to get some thoughts from you guys on what I should do.

If it were a bigger batch I would say oak, because there aren't too many times that I wake up and substitute a beer for my coffee. But I do like a good coffee stout though.

But you have to have a good whisky.

Not Jack Daniels or Jim Beam or any other crap like that. Woodford Reserve is what they age the massively loved Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. so good

I'm currently about a week into primary on my small 2 gallon batch of an RIS. I have two 1 gallon fermentors, one I plan to bottle after primary is done and the other I plan to age. After a few weeks I want to add either bourbon soaked oak chips or coffee beans into the second one. I just want to get some thoughts from you guys on what I should do.

Anecdodaly, I would start with 50g or even a little less (maybe half as much as that actualy) oak chips. In 5 gallons. A little goes a long way. It's fast acting, so it doesn't take long to notice a change in flavour. Remember, you can always add more the next day, but you can't take it out.

So, say, 20g to start with in two gallons. Probably not more than 40g total, unless you realy like oak. For coffie beans, try makeing a tinny amount of coffie with 1-2 oz exspresso beans in a french press. Add to secondary.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
--Adam Selene

Anecdodaly, I would start with 50g or even a little less (maybe half as much as that actualy) oak chips. In 5 gallons. A little goes a long way. It's fast acting, so it doesn't take long to notice a change in flavour. Remember, you can always add more the next day, but you can't take it out.

So, say, 20g to start with in two gallons. Probably not more than 40g total, unless you realy like oak. For coffie beans, try makeing a tinny amount of coffie with 1-2 oz exspresso beans in a french press. Add to secondary.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
--Adam Selene
Yeah, I understand it's easy to overpower a beer with oak chips.

Back