Aging a stout but would like to bottle to test.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bucks-04

Reaction score
As stated in the title, I'm aging a stout and would like to bottle a couple to taste the process. Is this possible?

I just racked to the secondary from the primary after a month. Some of the cons would be infection, but I'm pretty good with sanitation so not worried about that. Is there anything that wold make this a bad idea?

h22lude

Reaction score
You would just have to put priming sugar into a few bottles.

Why not bottle the whole thing and bottle condition the stout? This way you can taste one every few weeks to see how it is going.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
Just bottle it all. There probably isn't too much of a benfit in bulk aging it

OP
B

Bucks-04

Reaction score
Well after the first 2 responses, not knowing that there could be a difference between bulk and bottling aging I feel I might do both.

So split it in 2 and have 2.5 gal in bottles and the other bulk aging. Then I can see if there is a difference and which way I like better.

New question - Do you see anything wrong/bad about this idea?

bottlebomber

Reaction score
Bucks-04 said:
Well after the first 2 responses, not knowing that there could be a difference between bulk and bottling aging I feel I might do both.

So split it in 2 and have 2.5 gal in bottles and the other bulk aging. Then I can see if there is a difference and which way I like better.

To me is sounds like a great idea, with one possible exception. If you are half draining your fermenter, and the beer is basically done fermenting and therefore done producing CO2, you have a huge headspace that will be then filled with oxygen, which will stay in contact with your beer for the time your aging it. I can almost promise the beer in the bottles will age better for this fact alone, so unless you have a container that can snugly accommodate 2.5 gallons of beer, it wont be a fair comparison. But its generally always good to experiment this way as a new brewer, even if the experiments fail you learn every time

OP
B

Bucks-04

Reaction score
To me is sounds like a great idea, with one possible exception. If you are half draining your fermenter, and the beer is basically done fermenting and therefore done producing CO2, you have a huge headspace that will be then filled with oxygen, which will stay in contact with your beer for the time your aging it. I can almost promise the beer in the bottles will age better for this fact alone, so unless you have a container that can snugly accommodate 2.5 gallons of beer, it wont be a fair comparison. But its generally always good to experiment this way as a new brewer, even if the experiments fail you learn every time
Well I don't have anything that small (yup I just said that)! Well I might just bottle then and do this experiment later when I have the equipment.

lumpher

Reaction score
always helps to have the equipment needed to get the job done

VillageBrew

Reaction score

I just split my 5 gallon porter brew. One batch (4 gal) I bottled as is and the other (1 gal) I added a coffee/bourbon steep. I started with 12 oz of bourbon and 6 oz of ground coffee, which I cold brewed in the frig for two days. Filtered it and had a final product of 8 oz of pure bourbon smelling coffee heaven. I added that to the remaining gallon and bottled. I tried a Williamsburg Ale Werks Bourbon Barrel Stout that made me very happy. I had to give it shot!!! :D