ageing in corny question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cardassian

Reaction score
Hi all,

So in a couple of weeks I plan to brew a RIS for drinking in the winter (from nz so we're about to head into summer).
This has made me think about brewing other winter beers that need ageing and logically I am thinking of a barleywine.

Now if I brew 5 gallons of barleywine I will struggle to get through it in a year and I would also like to see how it evolves over time. So I have come up with a plan. If I brew the barleywine and then naturally condition in a corny can I bottle of few beers with a beer gun and then leave the rest to bulk age for another year, maybe repeating this process over the course of a couple of years?

Is there any reason that this wouldn't work?

That will surely work. Just make sure you keep CO2 in the empty space in the keg, which shouldn't be an issue.

Hi all,

So in a couple of weeks I plan to brew a RIS for drinking in the winter (from nz so we're about to head into summer).
This has made me think about brewing other winter beers that need ageing and logically I am thinking of a barleywine.

Now if I brew 5 gallons of barleywine I will struggle to get through it in a year and I would also like to see how it evolves over time. So I have come up with a plan. If I brew the barleywine and then naturally condition in a corny can I bottle of few beers with a beer gun and then leave the rest to bulk age for another year, maybe repeating this process over the course of a couple of years?

Is there any reason that this wouldn't work?

There isn't any reason that you have to make 5 gallons. Recipes for beer are totally scalable. Also, your barleywine may still be changing at a year so you probably want to store some (most?) of it longer. That means tying up a keg for a long time. I'd bottle the whole batch and use the keg for something with a shorter turn around.

I have a RIS that is at 2 years in the bottle and I think it is hitting its prime. Much better now than at 6 months.:mug:

Latest posts

Back