Ageing Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randmc

Reaction score
I recently kegged an american barleywine and I plan on ageing it for roughly 6 more months. I want to dry hop this guy but I don't know what time that should be done. My thought is age in the keg and just dry hop a few weeks before I want to serve it. I'm asking if I should bottle because I don't really have room in the fridge to keep a keg in there for 6 months. after it is carbed can I store it at room y
Temp?

I recently kegged an american barleywine and I plan on ageing it for roughly 6 more months. I want to dry hop this guy but I don't know what time that should be done. My thought is age in the keg and just dry hop a few weeks before I want to serve it. I'm asking if I should bottle because I don't really have room in the fridge to keep a keg in there for 6 months. after it is carbed can I store it at room y
Temp?

Sounds like you should dry hop now in a secondary, then bottle. After the beer carbs up(2-4 weeks at 70ish degrees), you should than store the bottle in a low 50 degree environment. That's in a perfect world though. Personally, I do not have an aging cellar. So my aged beer are kept at about 68 degrees in the basement. What was the recipe for you barleywine and how did it come out? Did you hit your numbers?

This beer was brewes to be my bithday present to myself next year, so i went all out with it. I'll post the recipe when I get home tonight. It came out amazing! I hit all my numbers as best as I could hope for OG 1.100 FG 1.020. I used Bell's yeast and was amazed by the attenuation. I think it helped that I pitched onto a cake. Just blended 8 oz of old no 7 into the four gallon batch after oak ageing for 2 weeks.

I disagree, I think your plan is fine. If you want to bulk condition and keep some hop aroma, definitely dry hop later. You could certainly keg it and store it warmer once it's carbonated, or bottle off the keg. If it were me I'd bottle condition. You can add a bit of fresh yeast and they should be carbed up within a month.

Back