Ageing and Carbonating in A Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkagain

Reaction score
Hello all, first post here. Seems like a nice forum.

Anyway, I just got back into brewing again after a ten year break and have made an imperial stout as my second brew. Its getting close to kegging time. My questions are how to go about ageing it and carbonating in a keg? Do I hit it with the CO2 for a couple of days like I normally would and then just put it away for six months or should I wait until I want to drink it before I hit it with the CO2?

Any thoughts or tips would mbe appreciated.

Thanks.

I think that natural carbonation is the best for the beer to be aged. I usually prime my beer with krausen, close the keg then put just a few psi on top just to make sure that the lid id sealed. Then I leave the beer for whatever time you need it to age and check pressure from time to time.

Hey Guys Dont mean to Hijack the thread here.. I have a question about Condioning techniques with a Keg. I DO understand that you hook it up to Co2 and then let it go that way.

Can I Place in a Keg, then put in Priming Sugar or whatever for natural carbonation, let it age that way then 6 weeks down the road Then Hook it up to Co2?

I thought this question would help out the thread a lot.

Thanks people

Hey Savage, I think thats what Adin is saying. Naturally carbonate in keg, pressurize to seal and then when ready to dispense hit it with 5lbs CO2. Hopefully he will correct me if wrong.

Most people that keg hit the kegs with CO2 then purge it to get the O2 out and then hit it again.

Then you can age as normal. As far as natural carbonation you can get arguments that natural is better and people saying there is no difference.

I personally like forced carbonation better because I have more control over the carbonation level. If you want to force carbonate connect the CO2 tank to the keg at 20-30 PSI and refridgerate about a week before you want to start drinking it. I then drop the pressure to where it's barely flowing to minimize foaming when I want to dispense and I ramp it back up for storage to keep the carbonation level where I like.

Some people like a lot of carbonation some don't but to each his own.

I just finished a American light beer and I decided to keg carbonate it with the bottling sugar. I know that the first 2 pulls off the keg will have yeast sediment, but I wanted to see how the carbonation is effected vs force carbonating.

Back