Agata bench capper issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biermann1

Reaction score
Today during bottling my Agata bench capper broke. The plastic piston holding the bell just snapped. Since there is no side force on it that should not happen. Metal would have lasted a life time. I capped 1000 + bottles with it. Not made in China I figured it's good.- Mistake.
Can anybody recommend a good bench capper ?
Thanks

Sorry to hear your capper broke, you're surely not the first or last one. They aren't made to withstand the test of use and time, the head being plastic.
If you're handy, or have a handy nephew or cousin, you may be able to glue it back together with JB weld, then reinforce the stress areas with some metal plates, steel strapping, more JB Weld and a few small bolts in strategically placed areas.

While that may help you out for the time being, and may last longer than the original, I would start looking around for an all-metal steel bench capper. Even a flea market or CraigsList find of such is probably going to outlast you and your grandkids.

They do still sell all metal ones, for a price, but chances are crucial parts, such as the head, are cast aluminum or some composite/alloy, giving similar problems over time.

I used epoxy already. The big main spring puts a lot of pressure on the bell and it ripped off right away. One more try w/o spring.

Back in the days when I started brewing I used a wing capper, it's all metal, no plastic, except for some minor parts than don't endure stress.
I still use it the few times I need to bottle something, but that's become quite sporadic.

Even these have become harder to find, everyone gets a crappy flimsy plastic one in their start-up equipment kit.

The bench cappers can handle any size and any type bottle, even Belgians, using the larger bell. So yeah, they're handy. If you need a bench capper get a better one. IIRC, there is a thread here on HBT where someone glued and reinforced one of those cappers you have, along similar lines I'd posted before, metal plates, straps, and so.

Can someone point this member to a solid bench capper that will actually last his brewing career? And hopefully past that, for all security.

Yes, this is what I was looking for. During my Google search it never came up.
I guess Williams Brewing is not paying enough extortion money to Google.

Yes, this is what I was looking for. During my Google search it never came up.
I guess Williams Brewing is not paying enough extortion money to Google.

Yeah they are hard to find for some reason.
I've seen them on Williams Brewing, MoreBeer and on Ebay.
The brand is Grifo if that helps. Made in Italy apparently.

I've been using the my first Agata bench capper since 2009 or 2010. No problems. Check the screws on the body occasionally to make sure they are snug but don't over tighten. The bell can loosen on the threads over time. This should be checked before every bottling. I suspect the bell had loosen to the point the downward pressure was no longer a straight force causing the threaded rod to snap.

Yeah they are hard to find for some reason.
I've seen them on Williams Brewing, MoreBeer and on Ebay.
The brand is Grifo if that helps. Made in Italy apparently.
Yep, Grifo is what I use......the $45 one. Started with wing capper until it began breaking bottle necks. I bought mine on EBay about 18 months ago for $45 w/free shipping. Also mounted mine to a cutting board for stability. You will notice that the Grifo is much more sturdy than Agata. I tried my buddy's Agata and it seems to bend a lot while capping. Here's the one I bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BENCH-CAPP...:0jQAAOSwHQ9WWSZF:sc:USPSPriority!34609!US!-1

Last edited:
Yep, Grifo is what I use......the $45 one. Started with wing capper until it began breaking bottle necks. I bought mine on EBay about 18 months ago for $45 w/free shipping. Also mounted mine to a cutting board for stability. You will notice that the Grifo is much more sturdy than Agata. I tried my buddy's Agata and it seems to bend a lot while capping. Here's the one I bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BENCH-CAPP...:0jQAAOSwHQ9WWSZF:sc:USPSPriority!34609!US!-1

That still looks like a plastic head... Alas, possibly a bit sturdier, and better designed than the Agata.

I ended up buying the "rack & pinion" type capper from Williams Brewing. Like other members said, the bottle will get stuck. I took a dremel tool and sanded out the bell just a hair and it works fine. The shaft is not lined up with the concentric rings on the base so lining up the bottle is difficult but since the bell attachment is metal it is unlikely to brake off like on my Agata. Overall, I think it's a keeper.

I bought an Agata and really like bench capping so I hope it lasts. i bought a plastic wing capper as a back up and my wife's co-worker gave me an old Jet metal wing capper so if the agata gives up the ghost i can at least finish bottling.

Back