Agar agar vs Knox gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
Will agar clear finished beer as well as Knox gelatin? I have 4 packets of agar agar but no gelatin.

For whatever help this might be...

Never used agar but just tried gelatin in a few of my kegs for the first time. Good god it worked amazingly. Beer went from looking like unfiltered apple cider (this is after cold crashing for a week) to crystal clear beer in 3 days.

Worked great! Cleared completely overnight. 1 TB in 1 C hot water. Stirred in to carboy.

Yeah if you have it thats one thing, but it is much more expensive. Glad to hear the experiment worked for you.

Hi Mark - did you boil agar-agar or just raised it to ~160F or so?

I am currently based in Asia and agar-agar is very cheap here.

I heated the water til it just started to bubble then took it off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes. Probably 180 to 190. Stirred in the agar. Stirred it into the carboy with a racking cane. I can read a book through the beer now.

People seem to keep repeating the mantra it's much more expensive than gelatin...Where are you guys shopping for it? I pick up .88oz packages of Telephone brand, which is the most common brand in the world, (like our knox) at the local Asian Market for $1.25 a packet. Heck you can order 5- .88 gram packets on Amazon for $5.76, which is $1.15 a packet.
http://www.amazon.com/Telephone-Brand-Agar-Agar-Powder/dp/B007PQTVSY

And actually on Amazon Know unlavored Gelatin is $1.25 an ounce. Seems it's actually cheaper or near the same price.

Last edited by a moderator:
People seem to keep repeating the mantra it's much more expensive than gelatin...Where are you guys shopping for it? I pick up .88oz packages of Telephone brand, which is the most common brand in the world, (like our knox) at the local Asian Market for $1.25 a packet. Heck you can order 5- .88 gram packets on Amazon for $5.76, which is $1.15 a packet.

And actually on Amazon Know unlavored Gelatin is $1.25 an ounce. Seems it's actually cheaper or near the same price.

Good to see you, Revvy - you've been missed!

No pigs' skin & horses' toes in your beer?

I am no vegetarian, but I don't find the above ingredients particularly appetizing.

Woot Woot - the Rev's back!!!

Back