Against my Will Stella Artois clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
A cool chick I know, maybe not the brightest, LOVES Stella Artois (she pronounces it ar-toy ;) its kinda cute).

Anyhow, I have free kegs, and she is willing to fund a stella clone and 1 other brew of my choice so long as I share some with her (which I already do anyways)

I am thinking

12 lbs 2 row
.5 lbs crystal 10L

No hops?

Lol, it is probably my pallette, but I taste no hops. Help me out there.

The one thing stella seems to have is more mouth feel than miller or bud.

Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure it uses Saaz hops. There are clone recipes around (google) but I don't know which come closest.

It has more body because, I think, because it doesn't use adjuncts. IMO, it's not a bad beer.

If you want to make beer it needs hops. It probably just has a small addition at 60 min. Saaz sounds like a good one, I would pick a low AA and more traditional European hop.

I've been meaning to brew this for awhile. As I also don't have lagering facilities, I plan on using Wyeast 2112 (White Labs equivalent is 810), which claims to "maintain lager characteristics at up to 65 F." Should be able to do that with a damp towel and fan.

With the beer being straight Pilsner malt, and not a lot of hop additions, it all comes down to mash temps, yeast strain, and fermentation temperatures. As to the hops, I plan on using Sterling and Liberty, although Saaz, Tett, and Hallertau would also probably be fine.

I am afraid that the pilsner malt will prove too flavorful if not lagered.

Maybe 1/2 and 1/2 2 row.

Back