AG setup test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambogi76

Reaction score
I ran a test today on my AG setup to test my technique and my system, because i want to run threw the procedure before i used the real malt. In my test i used crushed wheat (i got for free) to simulate the malt. I used dye in the sparge water so i can see if channeling is occurring (im glad i did).

My setup: I am using a coleman extreme cooler (rectangle) for my MLT and another cooler to hold my sparge water. I am fly sparging with 2 cpvc pipes with 1/16 inch holes drilled 2 inches apart. My mash manifold is made from cpvc with slits cut down.

The mashing went perfect, I held my temps well with only 3 deg. drop, mainly dew to opening to stir 3X at 15 min intervals. But i think i have channeling, after the sparge, i drained and examined the grain bed. I found the grain at the opposite end of the valve was only colored 1 and a half to 2 inches from the top. This occurred from the cooler wall to about 7 inches into the bed (my entire length is 22 inches). I think maybe what caused this was my cooler has a dip in the bottom where the spout is, where after i connected the manifold i added a small piece of pipe in this dip to connect to my valve, i put slits in this too. This piece naturally sits lower than the manifold. I think the liquid is rushing to this piece and not threw my whole manifold causing channeling down the front of my cooler where this dip is. I was drawing off about .5 to .75 quarts per min.

What do you think? Is this the cause of channeling?

Dude, all I can say is those wise old words from Papazzian, "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew"! I'm quite impressed by your zeal for perfection but, dude, it just don't need to be that complicated. Batch sparge and go for it!

Good luck!:mug:

What do you think? Is this the cause of channeling?

Draining the cooler at one end vs. a center drain. The runoff will follow the path of least resistance...the closer to the drain, the less resistance through the manifold. Fly sparging doesnt really appeal to me...but if I were to go there, I think I would use a FB.

Try batching....or better yet, try both.

Draining the cooler at one end vs. a center drain. The runoff will follow the path of least resistance...the closer to the drain, the less resistance through the manifold. Fly sparging doesnt really appeal to me...but if I were to go there, I think I would use a FB.

Try batching....or better yet, try both.

I didn't want to hear that. I was hoping to fly sparge to get better efficiency. But if im going to get channeling like this ill probably get in the lower 50% by flying with this setup.

Good batch sparging produces some very good eff.

I wouldnt worry about the fly sparging thing. Anytime you are using a manifold with a fly sparge, you will have some channeling since you are not draining from the entire bed evenly. This can be reduced by using some formulas to reduce the channeling tendencies and place fluid dynamics back in your favor.

I use a coleman extreme with a Palmer style 4 pipe copper manifold in the bottom. Batch sparging consistently gets me 75-80% and is really easy. This ease of operation allows me to drink more beer while brewing.

Back