AG Raspberry Red Ale Quandary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paraops

Reaction score
Just got the AG kit from Midwest, read the little info sheet that came with it and it says to add the raspberry at kegging. Do all flavored beers get the "flavor" at keg/bottling time? This is the first go at a flavored beer (as if beer isn't wonderfully flavored enough). I thought I'd give it a shot, to coax the wife "into the van" as it were.:)

Yes fruit gets added late due to the fact that you want to keep that aroma. If you add it in the primary all the great tasting and smelling rasberry aroma will get blown out with the Co2.

It can be added at bottling or in your secondary. Pros and cons are:

If you put it in the secondary, I would reccomend you rack again into a tertiary after about a week. Dunno if the flavor will be adding any fermentables (sugars) that would throw off your amount of priming sugars needed. The con is the extra time and use of fermenters. Pro being a clearer beer that the wifey might like more.

If you add it at bottling, obviously fewer steps and less time. I've never used an extract, so I'm not sure how much it might "cloud/haze" the beer and again, not sure if it'll throw off your carb levels.

That's my 2 cents worth. Let me know what you end up doing. Maybe do half one way and the other hald the other way and see which you like!

Back