AG purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
Well, I just dumped 429.00 at the brew store yesterday, this AG thing is expensive, 1 jsp malt mill,10 inch adjustable rollers, 50# sack of 2 row pale, 5# 10L crystal, 6# biscuit malt weldless fitting and therm. for HLT, several other specialty malts, about 1 # of different leaf hops, and a few other items, whew! I hope I stay in this hobby:) Wish me luck on my first batch, I think it will be Edworts Haus ale, just to keep it simple, if theres such a thing in AG:)

It is money well spent. You can now make a 5 gallon batch for under $20.00. My last little pale ale cost me 15 dollars for ingedients. Do you have kegs yet?

jagg said:
Well, I just dumped 429.00 at the brew store yesterday, this AG thing is expensive, 1 jsp malt mill,10 inch adjustable rollers, 50# sack of 2 row pale, 5# 10L crystal, 6# biscuit malt weldless fitting and therm. for HLT, several other specialty malts, about 1 # of different leaf hops, and a few other items, whew! I hope I stay in this hobby:) Wish me luck on my first batch, I think it will be Edworts Haus ale, just to keep it simple, if theres such a thing in AG:)

If you do get out of the hobby I'l buy your stuff for half price!:ban: Just Kidding. I recently got into this and I haven't yet gone the AG route, but I will. And good luck dude. I hope all of your brews turn out better than the last one.

Yes, I have 2 keggles, one for the HLT and the other a boil kettle, I have the false bottom for the boil kettle and dip tube thing, I also built a mash tun withj a 10gal. rubbermaid cooler, so Il will be batch sparging, I have a 55000 btu burner and stand for the HLT,all I have to do is get a bigger burner for the boil kettle, prolly next week, then Ill be all set I think :)Thanks Bob, and may your brews be the best also.

jagg said:
Yes, I have 2 keggles, one for the HLT and the other a boil kettle, I have the false bottom for the boil kettle and dip tube thing, I also built a mash tun withj a 10gal. rubbermaid cooler, so Il will be batch sparging, I have a 55000 btu burner and stand for the HLT,all I have to do is get a bigger burner for the boil kettle, prolly next week, then Ill be all set I think :)Thanks Bob, and may your brews be the best also.
I meant kegs for serving beer. It's another $400 or so but it sure is nice. :)

jagg said:

I just planned two brew sessions. The first, a blonda ale. The second using the yeast from the first gets my cost down below $15.00/five gal.

Yes, money well spent.

I also just dumped hundreds of dollars into an AG setup, but I bought big and quality pieces so I won't have to spend the money again in the future. I think it will be well worth it, the only expensive piece I am still lusting after is a conical fermenter which I will buy once my brew partner steals back all his carboys.

One thing I have noticed about this hobby is that the further you get into it, the more money you spend on equipment. However, each batch gets cheaper to produce, so that helps.

You all think brewing is expensive? Try photography, auto racing, ham radio, etc.

In the overall scheme of things brewing is relatively cheap AND others around you will generally appreciate the end product of your work (as opposed to photography and/or auto racing especially).

Brewing takes relatively little to produce an excellent product, whereas the aforementioned activities require you to acquire new gadgets and tools.

inhifistereo said:
You all think brewing is expensive? Try photography, auto racing, ham radio, etc.

In the overall scheme of things brewing is relatively cheap AND others around you will generally appreciate the end product of your work (as opposed to photography and/or auto racing especially).

Brewing takes relatively little to produce an excellent product, whereas the aforementioned activities require you to acquire new gadgets and tools.

Ya no kidding, I mean, that time travel hobby breaks my budget big time!

Great Scott!!! 1.21 Gigawatts!!!

Docof1955.JPG

Latest posts

Back