Quantcast

AG purchase

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jagg

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
520
Reaction score
2
Location
North Central NC
Well, I just dumped 429.00 at the brew store yesterday, this AG thing is expensive, 1 jsp malt mill,10 inch adjustable rollers, 50# sack of 2 row pale, 5# 10L crystal, 6# biscuit malt weldless fitting and therm. for HLT, several other specialty malts, about 1 # of different leaf hops, and a few other items, whew! I hope I stay in this hobby:) Wish me luck on my first batch, I think it will be Edworts Haus ale, just to keep it simple, if theres such a thing in AG:)
 

Blender

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
3,106
Reaction score
8
Location
Santa Cruz, CA.
It is money well spent. You can now make a 5 gallon batch for under $20.00. My last little pale ale cost me 15 dollars for ingedients. Do you have kegs yet?
 
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
161
Reaction score
0
Location
Western Washington, Whidbey Island
jagg said:
Well, I just dumped 429.00 at the brew store yesterday, this AG thing is expensive, 1 jsp malt mill,10 inch adjustable rollers, 50# sack of 2 row pale, 5# 10L crystal, 6# biscuit malt weldless fitting and therm. for HLT, several other specialty malts, about 1 # of different leaf hops, and a few other items, whew! I hope I stay in this hobby:) Wish me luck on my first batch, I think it will be Edworts Haus ale, just to keep it simple, if theres such a thing in AG:)
If you do get out of the hobby I'l buy your stuff for half price!:ban: Just Kidding. I recently got into this and I haven't yet gone the AG route, but I will. And good luck dude. I hope all of your brews turn out better than the last one.
 
OP
J

jagg

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
520
Reaction score
2
Location
North Central NC
Yes, I have 2 keggles, one for the HLT and the other a boil kettle, I have the false bottom for the boil kettle and dip tube thing, I also built a mash tun withj a 10gal. rubbermaid cooler, so Il will be batch sparging, I have a 55000 btu burner and stand for the HLT,all I have to do is get a bigger burner for the boil kettle, prolly next week, then Ill be all set I think :)Thanks Bob, and may your brews be the best also.
 

Blender

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
3,106
Reaction score
8
Location
Santa Cruz, CA.
jagg said:
Yes, I have 2 keggles, one for the HLT and the other a boil kettle, I have the false bottom for the boil kettle and dip tube thing, I also built a mash tun withj a 10gal. rubbermaid cooler, so Il will be batch sparging, I have a 55000 btu burner and stand for the HLT,all I have to do is get a bigger burner for the boil kettle, prolly next week, then Ill be all set I think :)Thanks Bob, and may your brews be the best also.
I meant kegs for serving beer. It's another $400 or so but it sure is nice. :)
 

Gammon N Beer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2007
Messages
708
Reaction score
10
Location
WI
jagg said:
Well, I just dumped 429.00 at the brew store yesterday, this AG thing is expensive, 1 jsp malt mill,10 inch adjustable rollers, 50# sack of 2 row pale, 5# 10L crystal, 6# biscuit malt weldless fitting and therm. for HLT, several other specialty malts, about 1 # of different leaf hops, and a few other items, whew! I hope I stay in this hobby:) Wish me luck on my first batch, I think it will be Edworts Haus ale, just to keep it simple, if theres such a thing in AG:)
I just planned two brew sessions. The first, a blonda ale. The second using the yeast from the first gets my cost down below $15.00/five gal.

Yes, money well spent.
 

Tonedef131

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
1,891
Reaction score
34
Location
Fort Wayne
I also just dumped hundreds of dollars into an AG setup, but I bought big and quality pieces so I won't have to spend the money again in the future. I think it will be well worth it, the only expensive piece I am still lusting after is a conical fermenter which I will buy once my brew partner steals back all his carboys.

One thing I have noticed about this hobby is that the further you get into it, the more money you spend on equipment. However, each batch gets cheaper to produce, so that helps.
 

inhifistereo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Location
Madison, WI
You all think brewing is expensive? Try photography, auto racing, ham radio, etc.

In the overall scheme of things brewing is relatively cheap AND others around you will generally appreciate the end product of your work (as opposed to photography and/or auto racing especially).

Brewing takes relatively little to produce an excellent product, whereas the aforementioned activities require you to acquire new gadgets and tools.
 

Brentk14

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2007
Messages
213
Reaction score
11
Location
Boise
inhifistereo said:
You all think brewing is expensive? Try photography, auto racing, ham radio, etc.

In the overall scheme of things brewing is relatively cheap AND others around you will generally appreciate the end product of your work (as opposed to photography and/or auto racing especially).

Brewing takes relatively little to produce an excellent product, whereas the aforementioned activities require you to acquire new gadgets and tools.
Ya no kidding, I mean, that time travel hobby breaks my budget big time!
 

ohiobrewtus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
7,762
Reaction score
72
Location
Ohio
Welcome to the world of AG brewing. You'll be glad you made the move!
 
Top