AG or Partial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwhill

Reaction score
OK...Well I have thoroughly confused myself and I am completely stuck in what I like to call the paralysis of anlysis. So I have currently brewed a few extract brews. They turned out well and I was generally pleased. Unfortunately I find it not so challenging to add a few cans of LME, a few grains in a bag and some hops. Some time ago I was introduced to some brew that was AG. Now granted this person has been doing it for a long time and they know what they're doing. But wow...what a good beer. So for the last few weeks I have been completely obsessed with switchig to AG or Partial Mash. I have been reading everything I can find about both but more on Partial Mash. My question is this:
It seems that partial mash can be as complicated as AG and also not nearly as many recipes. I know I can use software and calculations and so forth to convert but it seems so complex that I become discouraged. Currently I'm more of a recipe follower than a recipe builder and it seems easier to just go straight to AG. I already have everything I need (I think) except a Lauder Tun which I have to build in either case. Just using a bigger cooler for AG. I feel like as a right of passage I need to do partial mashes before stepping into AG. Maybe I'm making it far to complicated but there is so much to learn. So if you have any sage advice and or thoughts I'd greatly appreciate it. I have a pot big enough to boil 7 gals and an immersion chiller so as I said I need to build a MLT which seems pretty straigh forward. Thanks everyone!

Take the plunge and just go all grain. If you are looking for a challenge and the ultimate control over your beer, you won't be disappointed.

Partial mashing is a good routine, as well, but if you have the gear and the room to brew AG, you won't last long on PMs. Plus a PM beer is almost all the time and work of an AG batch. I still do the odd one, but I prefer AG for the control, low cost, and flexibility.

You don't need any stinking right of passage, just a desire to make great beer. With all the help on this board you can not help but to make great beer. You do need temperature control to make lagers but ales can be kept at fermentation temperatures fairly easy. Go for it. :mug:

Thank you both for quick responses. I love this forum and you are right there is everything here I could possibly need for getting started and accomplished. I will stick with ales for the future and someday after I get some more equipment and experience I'll try a lager. For now though ales it is. Thanks again!

Yeah man if you have the space to do all-grain why not? Partial mashes are almost as much work go all the way.

The MLT that FlyGuy put together is exactly what I'll build. I guess I just need to round up my nerve and make my next batch an AG one. If I can figure out which recipe to go with I'll post it for tweaking or feedback. I agree about the partial mash seeming to be as much work. Well thanks again for the responses. This forum is incredible! :rockin:

If you have the equipment to go AG and you want to go AG, there is no reason to do PM batches as some intermediate "right of passage."

I'll tell you, though, that you probably want a kettle that can boil more than 7 gallons. That will get pretty tight if you want more five gallons or more in the primary without topping off.

TL

I remember flagging this recipe a while back thinking it may be a good one. I'd just need to stop by my LHBS and make sure they have everything if I can figure out what it all is.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42841

+1 on the Centennial Blonde recipe. I just cooked it up this past weekend as my 3rd AG, and it was by far the easiest of the three (and is looking great). I also made the jump straight from extract brews to AG and have had no regrets or the "should haves" about not doing any partials on my way. GL!

If you have the equipment to go AG and you want to go AG, there is no reason to do PM batches as some intermediate "right of passage."

I'll tell you, though, that you probably want a kettle that can boil more than 7 gallons. That will get pretty tight if you want more five gallons or more in the primary without topping off.

TL

I did my first all grain with a 7 gallon brewpot on Monday night. It was not big enough. I found myself boiling some and adding until it was all in the pot. Then I started my boiling time. This was a light beer so it turned out a little darker than I thought, probably from the extra boiling time.

A bigger pot would be very helpful The other option is to use another pot and do 2 boils. I plan to use the burner on my grill next time along with my turkey burner to see if I can cut the time down. Within 30 minutes I should be able to combine the pots. I do not think there is any problem with this, but some of the more experienced brewers may want to comment.

TL

For some reason I thought that was about right for my fryer kettle but it is a 35 quart pot. Is that a big enough pot? Should I be looking for bigger?

+1 on the Centennial Blonde recipe. I just cooked it up this past weekend as my 3rd AG, and it was by far the easiest of the three (and is looking great). I also made the jump straight from extract brews to AG and have had no regrets or the "should haves" about not doing any partials on my way. GL!

Thanks for the feedback on the Centennial. I was hoping it would be one of the more straight forward AG brews. I'm a bit nervouse but after doing so much reading and getting feedback I'm feeling a little better. I defintely will be writing out a plan for the brew session with notes and reminders so I can hopefully be organized.

35 qt is right on the limit for all grain but you'll be OK. Just make sure you don't collect more preboil volume than say 6.5 gallons.

The main difference between PM and AG in my mind is that PM lets you continue using a smaller kettle and ice bath chilling because you can keep your boil volume at like 2-3 gallons. AG requires a boil down and you'll want to use a chiller of some type. Both will require some kind of mash/lauter tun. If you've already got the larger pot, you're almost there and might as well go AG. Read this: www.suebob.com/brew/allgrain.htm

For some reason I thought that was about right for my fryer kettle but it is a 35 quart pot. Is that a big enough pot? Should I be looking for bigger?

35 quarts is plenty big for boiling a 5 gal batch, but it is the boil-over that you need to watch for. Either watch it like a hawk with a spray bottle of cold water close by (to douse the foam), or use some foam control (aka Fermcap) in the boil to avoid a boil-over.

Bob I can't thank you enough for sharing that link! Wow what a great write up. Wish I had found this earlier in my reading as I would have had a better start on everything else that I read. I enjoyed the way you broke things down and kept them simple but then also added some technical info to go with it. For a begginer in AG this was perfect. I will surely print this process and keep it on hand for my first brew. Thanks again.
~Bill

Go AG... really no sense going to PM... AG does require more time than extract, but it is worth it.

if you read my latest post you may not want to listen to me but i got that "stepping into all grain" dvd and it really helped me get over that overwhelming feeling that this is way to complicated.

if you read my latest post you may not want to listen to me but i got that "stepping into all grain" dvd and it really helped me get over that overwhelming feeling that this is way to complicated.

LOL!!:drunk:
Wiggy I seriously must have been reading your post when you wrote your comment. I chuckled reading through the whole thing! I laugh because I can tell that is probably what my day will be like..A big ole cluster %^&&@! As I've said I read your post and I'll try and learn from your mistakes, but I'm certain there will be a long list of my own.
I hope your beer turns out great! :mug:

+1 on your pot size. 30-35 quarts is fine as long as you don't go full bore on the boil (keep it to a gentle rolling boil) and SLOWLY add your hops. If you keep the boil to a gentle roll and keep a lid on maybe 1/2 way or so, you'll evap less and not require a larger pre-boil volume.

Got to keep your eye on it, though.

+1 on your pot size. 30-35 quarts is fine as long as you don't go full bore on the boil (keep it to a gentle rolling boil) and SLOWLY add your hops. If you keep the boil to a gentle roll and keep a lid on maybe 1/2 way or so, you'll evap less and not require a larger pre-boil volume.

Got to keep your eye on it, though.

Thanx,Xamers. I'll have to be vigilant on the slow boil...This pot is all I have for now so I'll have to make do.
:off:
I just realized that I have actually used this pot for cooking turkeys and other things...Can I even use this pot to boil wort now? I keep it clean but is it possible it could contaminate the wort?

Back